100 Years ago in the Washie


Dec. 16, 1913

Unusual Surgery May Save Man His Leg

Dr. Horace J. Whitaker of Tacoma, recognized among members of the profession as one of the most noted and eminent surgeons in the United States, performed a difficult operation at the Hoquiam hospital Sunday. The patient is Louis Tanstad, a woodsman, who had a fracture-dislocation of the knee. The cartilage on the ends of the bone had been destroyed and a stiff joint was inevitable unless artificial cartilage could be substituted. This substitution was made with outside tissue and Mr. Tanstad will probably have free use of the limb when the wounds are healed. The operation was witnessed by a number of local physicians and surgeons, who entertained Dr. Whitaker informally at dinner at the Grayport in the evening.

Dec. 17, 1913

Motorcycle Run Down; Owner Escapes

John Johnson, a young man employed at the Blagen mill, had a narrow escape from being crushed to death under a speeding auto about 9 o’clock last night. The motorcycle, which he was about to mount on I street near Sixth, when Frank Ruby, a companion, saw the approaching auto and jerked him out of the way, was carried 60 feet up I street, run over and left a shapeless mass.

Mr. Ruby, L. L. Luce and several others, who witnessed the collision, declare the auto was running at least 25 miles an hour, and that the chauffeur, instead of stopping to investigate, opened up his throttle and hit the high places of West I and Fourth. The chauffeur was not recognized, but the machine was described as a big red touring car. The number of the license tag was noted, it is claimed, and a suit for damages and complaint for exceeding the speed limit will be filed as soon as identification of owner and driver are complete, it is stated.

Accident Causes The Death Of Sam Shaw

Sam Shaw, for several years tallyman at the E. K. Wood mill, died at the Hoquiam General hospital last night from injuries recieved in an accident at the mill on Monday. He was struck by a swinging sling of lumber that fractured his liver and otherwise injured him internally. He was 50 years of age and leaves a widow and several children residing at 409 Chenault avenue. Funeral arrangements will be made today.

Dec. 18, 1913

Schooner May Be Ashore North of Harbor

An unknown three-mast schooner may have gone ashore somewhere between Point Elizabeth and Raft river Tuesday, according to a report telephoned to the city from Moclips last evening. The report was brought to Moclips by two Indians from Taholah.

The Indians stated a three-mast schooner passed Point Elizabeth, north of Taholah, northward Tuesday afternoon. She was very close in, so close, in fact, according to their story, to barely clear the reef at Elizabeth. They believe she could not avoid going ashore between Point Elizabeth and Raft river. The local tug boat company was notified and will send a tug out today if the bar can be crossed. It was rough last evening.

Kohala Not Damaged When She Grounded

So far as J. L. Bell, the submarine diver, was able to ascertain after a careful examination yesterday, the rudder post of the barkentine Kahola was not injured when the vessel drifted on a spit in the lower harbor several days ago. The slight elevation of the ruddr, he believes, is due to sand that worked into the lower gudgeon while the stern was on the bottom, and the rudder will resume its original elevation when the vessel is under way and the sand has a chance too wash out.

Mr. Gell will go down again at slack tide today to examine the forward part of the vessel.

Dec. 19, 1913

Corner Stone Laid With Impressive Service

With the most impressive ceremonies ever attending the laying of the corner stone of a public building in Hoquiam, the corner stone of the new high school was placed yesterday with Masonic ceremonies conducted by officers of the grand lodge of the state, who were assisted by officers of the local lodge. Good weather favored the occasion and a large crowd attended.

From time immemorial it has been the custom of the Free and Accepted Masons to lay, when requested so to do, with their ancient rites, the corner stone of buildings being erected for the worship of God. For charitable objects, or for the purposes of administration of free government, and of no other buildings.

Among those taking active part in the ceremonies were: Asa H. Hankerson, M. W. G. M.; A. C. Gaillac, as R. W. D. G. M.; Watson M. Lamb, as R. W. S. G. W.; R. L. Sebastian, R. W. J. G. W.; F. K. Walsh, as grand treasurer; James P. H. Callahan, as grand secretary; Rev. John W. Beard, as grand chaplain; Thos. F. Kane, as grand orator; L. J. Wakefield, as grand lecturer; C. D. Atkins, as grand marshal; E. Thayer Lamb, as S. G. D.; Harvey Lord, as J. G. D.; F. D. Arnold, as grand Bible bearer; L. J. Kolts, as grand standard bearer; Warren Dutton, as grand sword bearer; Melvin Cagley, as S. G. S.; A. H. Hoefer, as J. G. S., and John Snyder, as grand tyler.

Grand lodge and local officers and members of the order to the number of about 125, paraded in regalia from the Masonic hall to the grounds, arriving promptly at the hour set — 2:30 o’clock. The ceremonies were under the direction of A. H. Hankerson of Seattle, grand master. Nordstrom’s band and a mixed choir furnished music for the occasion, the latter singing “Lord of Our Fathers” at the opening and the former rendering a low andante during the time the stone was being placed. The awning covering the platform and derrick was draped with the national colors.

In the cavity of the lower stone was then deposited by the grand treasurer the sealed copper box containing proceedings of the grand lodge Free and Accepted Masons of Washington, Vol. XIX — 912; list of members, records and proceedings of Hoquiam Lodge, F. &A. M. No 64; proceedings of school board pursuant to the issue of bonds for construction of school building; rules and regulations of Hoquiam public schools; annual report of the Supt. of city schools, June 9, 1913; the “Hoquiam Alumnus”, July 2, 1913; photo of the McKinley school; copy of Hesperian of 1913; copy of Hoquiam Sawyer with port plans, Dec. 11, 1913; copy of Daily Washingtonian, Dec. 18, 1913.

The working tools used in the ceremonies and their moral and Masonic uses were as follows: The square, “to square our actions by the square of virtue and to prove our work;” the level, “to lay horizontals, and it morally teaches us equality;” the plumb, which “morally and Masonically teaches rectitude of conduct and is also used to try perpendiculars.”

Then followed the ceremony of scattering corn and pouring wine and oil, performed respectively by the deputy grand master, senior grand warden and junior grand warden — the corn being an emblem of plenty; the wine of joy and gladness; the oil, of peace.

Dec. 20, 1913

Dredger Brought Up Stone Head Of Spear

Wm. J. Garbet, room 12, Lumberman’s bank building, is the possessor of a rare relic of the prehistoric stone age on Grays Harbor. It is a stone spear head of fine workmanship and perfect proportions, but the edges have been worn dull by erosion. It was brought up from the bottom of the Chehalis river in June last by the Grays Harbor Construction company’s dredge, which was at that time working on a bar near the mouth of Preacher’s slough and furnishing sand and gravel for street improvements in Hoquiam. The head was formed from what apapears to be diorite; it is 17 inches long, 2 1/2 inches wide and 1 1/4 inches thick at extreme points.

Stone knives, axes, mortars, pestles and other household implements have been found in all parts of the Northwest, but so far as the Washingtonian has been able to ascertain this is the first spear head of any kind yet unearthed. A small pipe bowl of burned clay was also brought up by the dredger about the same time.

 

Rules for posting comments