75 years ago
April 2, 1939
Sunday, no newspaper published
April 3, 1939
• The membership committee will check on all Harborites entering tonight’s mass meeting at which will be formed a permanent organization of Grays Harbor business and professional men and farmers to help revive Harbor industry, leaders in the movement said today.
At least 1,000 Harbor business men, their employees, farmers, professional men and similar citizens are expected to attend the meeting scheduled for 8 o’clock in the Weir Theater. Only those with membership cards, or who can qualify for one at the door, will be admitted.
Russell V. Mack, Hoquiam publisher, will act as chairman.
• Completed at a cost of approximately $28,000 the two-story Hoquiam Junior High School annex provides the most up-to-date cafeteria and stage facilities to be found anywhere in the state.
50 years ago
April 2, 1964
• More than 250 youngsters took part in last week’s Little Olympics track and field program at the Aberdeen YMCA.
Events included the rope climb, stork stand, foul shooting, basketball lay-ups, ball throw for accuracy and distance, potato race, broad jump, commando race and 25-yard dash.
Five large trophies awarded at the conclusion of the events were presented to
• 3rd &4th grade: Mike Beck and Elizabeth Gordon
• 5th &6th grade: Jack Hansen, Jackie Larner and Carolyn Bracken.
• Failor’s Cafe at the corner of Heron and Broadway is offering a special steak dinner for $1.75, chopped sirloin sandwich for $1 and a broiled diet plate for 60¢.
April 3, 1964
The reign of the Beatles may be loud, but it won’t be long, say American young people. Forty-five percent of the 1,375 teenagers interviewed recently think the long-haired boys from Liverpool will stop waving their mops in front of audiences in a year or less: 18 percent give the Beatles two years of popularity.
25 years ago
April 2, 1989
• Ade Fredericksen remembers receiving a 5-page typed composition entitled “Early Hoquiam History” shortly after the death of Albert G. Rockwell, a longtime Hoquiam insurance man who died in his 90s on Oct. 11, 1973.
When the Rockwell family arrived on the Harbor there was only one industry — The Northwestern Lumber Co. at the mouth of the Hoquiam River. Later a shingle mill was built south of the original mill.
The next industry that came to the tiny village was a large sawmill at the east end of Chenault Ave., owned principally by James A. Karr. The mill was taken over a bit later by the E.K. Wood Lumber Co. of California. Shortly after that, Rockwell recalled, “A man named Carlson, from California, built a plant west of the E.K. Wood Mill on the Hoquiam River. They installed a “peeler” later known as a lathe.
This plant was built in the 1890s and manufactured berry boxes large spruce logs that were shipped to California.
• St. Mary’s Trojans finished their eighth grade league season with an 8-0 record. Team members were Adam Blomberg, Matthew Fisher, Ty Dixon, Anthony Mizin, Nick Reibel and John Bailey. Their coach was Mike Descher.
April 3, 1989
Going through cancer treatment is no picnic but losing your hair seems to make it worse. Cancer patients on Grays Harbor now have an option. The local chapter of the American Cancer Society recently opened a wig room on the third floor of Grays Harbor Community Hospital’s East Campus.
Thanks to volunteer board members Helen Eklund and Jill York, they have collected and organized more than 100 wigs that are free to any patient who wants one.
Pat Gordon of Pat’s Trim and Style will clean, cut or style the wigs and the $5 fee will be billed directly to the American Cancer Society.
Compiled from The Daily World archives by Karen Barkstrom