Now that one of my daughters is working at Chipotle Mexican Grill, Mexican food is never far from my mind.
I blame it on the fact that she comes home most nights smelling like burritos.
A healthier alternative is all burrito without the tortilla. These have the meat, lettuce and toppings without the guilt.
Catherine gets a free meal when she works, but, sigh, there’s no employee discount for moms. So when I feel the urge for a rice bowl, I make it from scratch. And, if I do say so myself, it’s just as good.
Feel free to use this recipe as a jumping off point.
If you prefer steak to chicken, or brown rice to white, sub it. Same with the toppings and seasonings.
Mexican chicken and shrimp rice bowl
• 3/4 pound boneless chicken breast, cut into small cubes
• 3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 1 to 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning
• Juice and zest of 1 lime, plus more juice to squeeze on rice
• 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
• 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
• 1 sweet onion, sliced thin
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• 15-ounce can black beans
• 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
• 4 cups hot, cooked rice
• Guacamole, sour cream, chopped cilantro, shredded lettuce, salsa and lime wedges, for toppings
Toss chicken and shrimp in a large bowl with fajita seasoning. Add lime juice and zest; toss.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil to sizzle in a large skillet. Add garlic, pepper and onion and stir-fry until vegetables are soft and slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove to a plate.
Wipe out pan. Add remaining oil to pan and heat over medium-high heat. When it sizzles, add chicken and shrimp, and stir-fry until shrimp is pink and chicken is crispy brown, 3 to 4 minutes. (If you’re worried about overcooking the shrimp, cook it separately.) Season with salt and pepper.
Add vegetables back to pan and stir. Lower heat and keep warm while you assemble the other ingredients.
Rinse and drain black beans, then heat to warm in the microwave or on stove top.
To assemble: Place 1 cup rice in a bowl and squeeze a little lime juice on top. Spoon on about 1/2 cup beans. Add 1/4 of the chicken, shrimp, shredded cheese and veggie mixture. Add toppings and enjoy!