The Hoquiam City Council is talking about a ban of fireworks sales and use, with council members asking City Attorney Steve Johnson to draft an ordinance for them to consider.
The motion to have Johnson draft the ordinance ended in a tie and Hoquiam Mayor Jack Durney voted yes to break the deadlock.
The measure discussed at Monday’s council meeting would still allow licensed pyrotechnicians to put on shows within city limits.
The ordinance was proposed by Councilman Darrin Moir, even though the topic had already been referred to the council’s Pubic Safety Committee. Councilman Paul McMillan asked why Moir wouldn’t let the referral run its course.
“This is the second time (a firework ban) was referred to public safety in the last six years, and last time it sat there for three months,” Moir said.
He said it’s been four weeks since it was introduced and he didn’t want to delay the ordinance further.
Councilman Kevin Swope said he objected to the ordinance, arguing that a ban would be too drastic.
“The point you’re trying to make is you’re trying to ban fireworks for the kids in the street one day a year,” Swope said.
But Councilman Richard Pennant said he frequently sees fireworks for several days before and after the Fourth of July.