World Gone By 3/19


75 years ago, March 18/19, 1938

• Safety is an integral part of an industrial operation, just as much as marketing or production, declared Ed Sorger, supervisor of safety of the state department of labor and industries, before a joint meeting of the Montesano Active Club and the Montesano Chamber of Commerce at the Goodie Garden Wednesday evening.

Sorger gave a commentary on a showing of remarkable motion pictures of re-enactments of actual accidents in the woods. Many of the scenes were taken near Montesano. They are in full color and were taken by E.L. Phillips of Montesano.

Sorger stressed the fact that only 15 percent of the accidents occur because of failure of equipment. The other 85 percent, he declared, are man-made, because of carelessness or some failure on the part of some person or persons.

• Hoquiam’s Grizzly basketball team remained in the running for the state hoop crown last night by coming from behind in the final quarter to defeat Stadium High School of Tacoma, 29-26 in one of the greatest bursts of scoring in tournament play this year.

Trailing 23 to 15 at the start of the fourth quarter, the Hoquiam five, sparked by Don Stubberfield and Norman Walker, bombarded the basket with a barrage of successful shots to grab the victory.

50 years ago, March 18/19, 1963

• Dan Martin of Hoquiam High School was recognized as March “Boy of the Month” by Hoquiam Lions last week.

Martin is a football letterman, belongs to the school’s Honor Society and H Club and is turning out for track. He is president of the choir and has a lead in the senior class play now in production.

• The Grayland School will shortly be sold by the Ocosta School District to raise money for expansion. Voters last week gave the school board permission to sell the property so additional land could be obtained adjacent to the school at Westport.

25 years ago, March 18/19, 1988

• Six members of the Hoquiam High School concert band have been selected as members of the WSU Honor Band. Todd Bowman, sophomore percussionist; Steve Pavletich, junior bass clarinetist; Jeff Hirschberg, senior tenor saxophonist; Adrienne Julious, senior alto saxophonist; Mary Landreth, senior clarinetist and Mari Tuominen, senior piccolo player and band president will participate. They will spend three days on the campus in Pullman rehearsing and performing with WSU faculty members, attending master classes and working with outstanding musicians from 32 other Washington high school.

• How close to the original is the present-day version of Capt. Robert Gray’s vessel Lady Washington, now under construction in Aberdeen? At the March 22 meeting of the Grays Harbor Historical Seaport Society, lead shipwright Richard Miles will talk about how methods being used today compare to the original tall ship.

• The Dungeness crab is making a comeback with coastal crab fishermen expecting the best harvest they’ve seen in nearly 20 years.

Much of the catch is moving through Leif Andersen’s crab processing plant. Andersen says he employes about 160 local residents at Washington Crab Producers and buys crab from dozens of self-employed fishermen. He says the company has bought about 4 million pounds so far this season and at $1 a pound, “that’s $4 million paid out right in this area since December.”

• The deluxe 1,000 hp, 66-foot Alaska Solitude was launched Friday at the Little Hoquiam Boat Shop and she’s already on a schedule to make her dates with Glacier Guides Inc. in Alaska.

It’s been a busy two days at the boat shop. On Thursday they launched the 46-foot troller, Silvertip for a Ketchican customer — the 56th vessel of that model produced.

The Solitude is selling for about $500,000, the Silvertip $200,000.

“We have a good reputation in Alaska,” said Howard Moe, general manager of the Little Hoquiam Boat Shop. The shop has built several hundred commercial and charter vessels since it began business in 1971.

• Rich in tradition and long on history, the Free and Adopted Masons of Aberdeen Lodge will hold their 100th anniversary celebration Tuesday at the Temple at Heron and I streets.

• Gay Daniels and her husband Derrell officially opened the newest bed and breakfast on Grays Harbor at the corner of First and M streets in Hoquiam last weekend. The house was built in 1912 and “We’re still trying to figure out who built it,” said Gay.

The business is not their only income. Derrell is in sales at Lamb-Grays Harbor and Gay works part-time at Twin County Credit Union.

Compiled by Karen Barkstrom from the archives of The Daily World.