World Gone By 4/4

75 years ago, April 4, 1938

• Heavy casualties and reported rout of the government army from Lerida, Spain this weekend brought considerable speculation here as to the safety of a number of Grays Harbor men in the international brigades. Seven Harborites are in Spain and almost all were believed in the sector where the international outfits bore the brunt of the insurgent attack.

Co-incident with the battle, friends of James Hassett, seventh Harborite to go overseas, received a letter from him today in which he asserted he “expects an abrupt end to this war and for this reason I will be seeing you soon — victorious.”

• The fiery cross blazed again over Aberdeen last night high on Think-of-Me hill. Thousands of Harborites witnessed the spectacle visible from all sections of the city and part of Hoquiam.

It was the second burning of a fiery cross, long the symbol of the Ku Klux Klan, here in two weeks. On March 19, a cross burned on Pilgrim Heights.

50 years ago, April 4, 1963

Harbor Thriftway supermarket, 2600 Simpson Ave., is celebrating the first anniversary of its establishment.

The business was purchased from Super Valu a year ago by Everett Wadsworth and Joe Tolomie, then remodeled to provide a more attractive and efficient place to shop.

The building was originally built by Augie Wright of Longview.

In appreciation for the patronage the area has given the supermarket, Harbor Thriftway is offering a wide selection of bargains and good buys during the celebration.

25 years ago, April 4, 1988

• Grays Harbor held its breath on Easter Sunday and prayed for good news.

It came late last night just when police were growing more apprehensive for a kidnap victim.

But Mary Lee Stevens, a 20-year-old Burger King shift supervisor in Aberdeen, was released unharmed south of Puyallup. She had been held for nearly 24 hours by a shotgun-wielding man who abducted her during an armed robbery of the restaurant.

The kidnapper made off with more than a thousand dollars and is still at large.

Aberdeen Police Chief Bill Ellis reported that Stevens was in “good spirits and pleased to have been reunited with her family.” She had not been assaulted.

• A great horned owl trapped by a barbed-wire fence on a chicken-stealing expedition near Montesano last November began a new career at Seattle’s Woodland Park Zoo Saturday.

The big bird of prey will never fly well enough to survive on its own, but has recovered from its injuries and an unsuccessful attempt to release it into the wild. After a quarantine period at the zoo, it will become part of the bird-of-prey education exhibit.

That’s a lucky break for “Rusty” because injured animals unable to return to the wild generally must be put to death, according to Department of Wildlife policy said Larry Waldron, a wildlife rehabber in Hoquiam.

Compiled by Karen Barkstrom from the archives of The Daily World.