World Gone By 4/5

75 years ago, April 5, 1938

• Grays Harbor clam diggers hit a bonanza today, getting the largest take of the season, estimated at better than 70 tons. Amateur diggers have thronged the beaches along with commercial “gunners.”

• Robert Skrondal and Fred Berken returned to Aberdeen at noon today after a round-trip bicycle jaunt to Portland, a distance of approximately 325 miles. They left Saturday morning, camped overnight near Toledo and arrived in Portland Sunday afternoon. They camped near Swan Island and started back to the Harbor Monday morning, camped at Grand Mound and finished their trip today.

• In the “Echoes of the Past: 20 Years Ago Today” column — April 5, 1918: Five hundred men are now employed in the Aberdeen Shipbuilding company yards on the Wishkah River and 200 more are needed.

50 years ago, April 5, 1963

• “Where Away?” is a column written by Weatherwax High School students in William Lucas’ creative writing class. It features attractions within a day’s outing of Aberdeen. Today’s column, about Grays Harbor Southshore is written by Sue Bumgardner.

Following State route 13A the first town you enter is Markham with the Ocean Spray cranberry canning plant on the left.

Ocosta is a little further on. In the 1890s it was known as Ocosta-by-the-Sea. Today only a couple of weathered buildings remain.

Bay City is distinct because of the pilings that mark the site of the old whaling station. Dissection and rendering gave yesterday’s visitors a smelly welcome not soon forgotten.

Cohassett, like its New England namesake, has an east coast appearance with lovely homes with shake sidings, mellowed to a fine gray, huddled in the wind-twisted pines.

• The Cosmopolis Coin Club will sponsor a coin show April 20 at the VFW Hall, Aberdeen.

Also participating in the first of its kind shows on the Harbor will be the Grays Harbor and Montesano Coin Clubs.

25 years ago, April 5, 1988

• The lunch rush was over but business was still unusually brisk at the Aberdeen Burger King Monday afternoon.

The restaurant had been closed since Saturday night when a shotgun-wielding robber forced five teenage workers into a cooler and kidnapped the night supervisor, Mary Lee Stevens.

Stevens, 20, was released blindfolded but unharmed late Easter Sunday south of Puyallup.

Most of the customers yesterday seemed to be from out of town, said Vernoica Plesha. The 68-year-old widow — “Aunt Ron” according to her nametag — who works among the tables, cleaning rag in hand, making sure customers can find a clean table. “A few want to see the place that was robbed,” she commented.

Compiled by Karen Barkstrom from the archives of The Daily World.