100 years ago in the Washie

July 6, 1913

Parade is Reviewed By Immense Crowd

One of the most notable parades in the history of the Southwest was that in Hoquiam for the Splash the morning of the Fourth.

Prize winners in the parade were:

National section — Sons of Norway, first prize, with a float representing one of the ancient war vessels of the Norsemen, commanded by Chris Endresen and manned by sturdy warriors in costumes of several centuries ago. Second prize went to the Croatian society, which had a large representation.

First prize for the best float went to Huotari & Co. It was in the form of a man-of-war; second prize, Aberdeen Dye works; third, C. R. Rychard. Another float that attracted attention was the mammoth hotpoint iron of the Grays Harbor Railway & Light company.

Fraternal Section — Aberdeen Elks, first; Red Men, second; Hoquiam W. C. T. U. third. The float of the latter organization was an auto on which was a platform and canopy trimmed in white material. It carried a large pair of scales, at one end of which was a beer keg and at the other a little child dressed in white. This motto was conspicuous: “Project the Home.” Louis Morgan represented “Uncle Sam,” the driver; Mrs. Pettit,, “Liberty”; Mrs. Louis Morgan, “Prohibition”; Mr. Whilt, “President Wilson,” and Mr. Whilt Jr., “Grape Juice Bryan.”

Logging and Log Rolling Championships Decided;

All Contests Interesting

Several thousand saw the sports and championships on the Hoquiam river yesterday and Friday. The competition was keen in all the events.

The world’s championship for log rolling changed hands yesterday when R. Henderson, winner in Thursday’s preliminaries, defeated Billy Charley, the Indian champion.

Hiram Blake, superintendent of the Grays Harbor Construction company’s asphalt plant, gave a thrilling exhibition not down on the program — a dive of 40 feet from the top of one of the “trees” that was afterward cut in the falling contest.

John Hendrickson and John Logger, from the Park camp of the North Western Lumber company, defeated Hans Lee and Pete Cleave, from the Hackett-Corkery camp, in the finals of the championship falling contest, the time of the teams being 9:21 and 11:42 respectively. They drew for choice of trees and the champions chose what proved to be one easiest cut. There was very little difference in the size of the trees, however. The average of the two measurements on the one felled by the losers was 37.67 inches, while that of the other was 37.25 inches. Lee and Cleave were forced to suspend operations two different times, when the tide currents in the river set the scow in toward the grandstand, causing the crowd to stampede toward the exit because of the danger of the tree falling upon the seats. Hendrickson met with a painful accident at the start of the contest when he accidentally knocked his saw off the tree and it fell upon him, three of the teeth penetrating the flesh of his right arm.

Billy Charley won the Indian canoe race for singles and he and his companion also captured the prize for doubles.

July 7, 1913

Close to 30,000 People Attend Festival

Fourth is Big Day; Fun and Excitement

Lasts Clear Through Night;

Transportation Facilities Inadequate

In a blaze of glory last night — late last night — the first annual Grays Harbor Splash ended after a three day’s celebration far more successful than had even been hoped for by the most enthusiastic booster among the promoters.

The best of good feeling prevailed through the three days and nights and all three evenings were turned into carnivals with the fun running far into the night. The crowds on the Skidroad the night of the Fourth did not break up until daylight yesterday morning.

A crowd that numbered at least 19,000 people from neighboring cities and communities and the largest ever assembled in the Southwest, ideal weather conditions; a parade that in size and number of interesting features probably never has been equaled in Southwestern Washington — these were some of the more important factors responsible for the success of the Splash celebration of the national holiday. The high pressure stage was reached of course, on the Fourth, the second day of the affair.

Transportation Facilities Overtaxed

Street car statistics indicate that about 12,000 came in from Aberdeen and vicinity by that means alone. The Northern Pacific brought at least 2,000 more from the East and West, every coach of its extra large trains being crowded to overflowing, and nearly as many more came by the Milwaukee and the Oregon-Washington. These estimates are based on figures given by railway officials. The remainder came in autos and carriages. Montesano alone sent at least 1000 people by rail and auto; although rain was falling there when the seven-coach special of the Northern Pacific pulled into that city from the east.

In fact in every way the crowd on the Fourth was fully a half larger than had been estimated. It was a most auspicious start for Grays Harbor’s annual festival and next year’s Splash which will be held at Aberdeen, should even eclipse the event just closed.

July 10, 1913

Rich Widows Ask For Pensions From County

MONTESANO — Is a woman whose husband is divorced and who in the divorce proceedings got a considerable amount of real and personal property, entitled to aid under the “Mother’s Pension Act?”

This question, or two questions, will have to be settled in the courts of this county soon. A petition for pension has been filed by Mary Flene, of Montesano. According to the petition she was divorced from her husband Oct. 25, 1906, and his “present whereabouts are unknown.” The petition has nothing to say about property but county officials say that when divorce was granted, the woman was awarded a North River farm that was valued at $4000 or $5000, besides a lot of personal property — cattle, horses, farm machinery, etc. There is one child, a girl born in 1901, and if the act is applicable, the woman is entitled to a $15 a month pension.

July 11, 1913

Believe Oil Sure To Be Found at Hoh

The party of Hoquiam and Aberdeen business men who started for the Hoh oil fields last Saturday to make a personal investigation, returned yesterday morning fully satisfied there has been no misrepresentation of facts. Among members of the party were L. H. Burnett, A. H. Griffin and A. W. Lane of Aberdeen and R. H. Burrows of Hoquiam.

Mr. Burnett stated that at the well, which has been dug to a depth of 20 feet on the property of the Jefferson Oil company, they found seepage oil dripping from the rocks and floating on the surface of the water at the bottom. The seepage amounts to about five gallons of oil per day.

On the return trip the party visited the mud volcano near Tahola, which is one of nature’s freaks. One of the lessees of this part of the Quinault Indian reservation has installed a miniature gas plant on the top of the mound of soft mud, which is kept in a state of eruption by the pressure of natural gas. This plant consists of a barrel sunk into the mud and from one end has been removed. To the other end is attached a piece of gaspipe and a burner. A bright flame under good pressure is secured when a lighted match is applied to the open jet.

The party experienced some unexpected hardships and delays before reaching their destination. They went to Moclips by train and were to have been met at Point Granville by the launch Albatros, but the little boat was unable to get over the bar because of rough weather. Several members returned to Moclips, where they secured mounts and waited for the rear guard. Their traveling time was 17 hours between Moclips and the Hoh River by trail and beach. They were compelled to ride through the surf rounding one point, which they did not reach until after the tide had covered the beach.

Child’s Death is Due to Match Poison

The body of little Elsie Spaulding, whose death on Monday was caused by poisoning from chewing matches, was shipped to Raymond Tuesday for interment. Mrs. Spaulding left the child, which was twenty months old, at home alone while she came to the city from East Hoquiam. When she returned she discovered Elsie had been playing with matches. The child was taken ill during the night, dying from the poison