100 years ago in the Washingtonian

June 24, 1913

Logger’s Face Is Smashed In Accident

Roy Brumble, employed at the camp of the Western Logging company, a short distance east of Montesano, was painfully wounded and disfigured for life in an accident yesterday. He was working about a donkey that was being moved when a block broke and a portion of it struck him on the left cheek, inflicting two wounds, the largest about two inches long, and breaking the cheek bone. He was brought to the Hoquiam hospital.

Unidentified Body Found In Wishkah

The body of an unknown man was found in the Wishkah river near the Sailors’ Union building at Aberdeen yesterday.

It was at first supposed to be that of a man whom the watchman at the Aberdeen mill heard calling for help about 11 o’clock the night of June 15, but Coroner R. F. Hunter, who examined the body, stated it had been in the water much longer than that. The body was clothed in gray coat, overalls and brown underwear. The hair and mustache are brown. The only articles found in the pockets are a 17-jewel solid gold case watch and a corncob pipe.

June 25, 1913

Indian Team Will Meet Swedish Players

One of the headline athletic attractions of the Splash will be a game of association football between the Swedish and Hoquiam Indian teams. The latter has been organized by Salmon Charley, and although they have had little or no practice for several months, their past performances against the “Boston” teams is proof the former subjects of King Oscar will have hard work to keep from losing their scalps and the prize. The game is to take place on the East Side fill. The lineup of the Indians follows: S. R. Charley, cf; Roland Charley, lf; Albert Charley, rf; Stanley Charley, lg; Mitchell Charley, rg; Billie Charley, ch; Allen Chinook, ih; Johnson George, rh; Wm. Jack, lfb; Roy John, rhb; Clarence John, goal tender.

June 27, 1913

Exhume Soldier’s Body; Hold Coroner’s Inquest

The body of J. A. Crawford, the missing soldier from Fort Stevens, which was found on the north jetty and buried in the Hoquiam cemetery June 16 before identification could be established, was disinterred yesterday and an inquest held in compliance with a request from Colonel Straub, the commanding officer at the fort, for a more thorough investigation as to the cause of death.

The body was in such an advanced stage of decomposition that an autopsy by Coroner Hunter was impossible, but after as complete an examination as was possible under the circumstances the coroner’s jury agreed upon the verdict that “death was due to strangulation.”

C. C. Pinnick, the undertaker, who prepared the body for burial, testified he found no evidence of bruises or cuts on the scalp or of fracture of the skull. He testified further that he found the face discolored and distended, the tongue protruding and the hands clinched.

J. W. Bingo, the private who accompanied Sergeant Murphy to Hoquiam to conduct a more thorough investigation than the local authorities had been able to give, testified the report was in circulation at the fort that a member of the I. W. W. had said, after the disappearance of Crawford: “At least one of the witnesses will not be here to testify against Coffman.” Coffman is the private held for trial on the charge of circulating seditious literature.

The coroner’s jury consisted of F. Wheeler, Frank Storey, Z. Smith, T. M. Quinn, C. C. Pinnick and Fred Napier.

June 28, 1913

Logger Slain And Body Robbed

Andrew Reinikka Beaten To Death At Early Hour Friday Morning

Andrew Reinikka, a Finnish logger, aged 27 years, was beaten to death and robbed at an early hour yesterday morning near the south approach of the W. O. railway bridge in South Aberdeen.

The body was found at 5:30 a.m. by Joseph Kesy, night watchman for the Donovan Lumber company. By its side was an empty beer bottle that had apparently been used to strike Reinikka two heavy blows on his head.

The murdered man had just been paid off by the Warren Bros. company, receiving $105.61. Ninety dollars of this he deposited with Mrs. Ranta, a boarding house keeper, and the rest he started out to circulate early Thursday evening. He was last seen alive near the bridge with two men thought to be sailors whom the Aberdeen police have under surveilance. His pockets were empty when he was found.

No arrests had been made last night.

Logging Camps Will Close Down Tonight

The influx of loggers in the city from camps tributary to Hoquiam has been increasing for several days, and tonight a majority of the companies and individual operators in the Grays Harbor country will have closed down until after the Splash.

One company, operating near Copalis, which is under contract to supply a certain amount of timber daily, will continue to operate if it can obtain men to take the place of those who desire the annual Fourth of July rest.

E. B. Crary, secretary of the Big Creek Timber company, estimates that at least $300,000 will be paid out in wages to loggers this week, the greater portion of which will be put in circulation in Harbor cities during Splash week.