A Century Ago in the Washingtonian 8/17

August 17, 1913

Logger Takes His Life in the Wishkah

Chris Husby, aged 32 years, a logger in the employ of the Grays Harbor Logging company for the past four years, committed suicide by drowning at 11:45 a.m. today in the Wishkah river between the Heron street and Northern Pacific railway bridges. The body was recovered about 1 p.m. by Chief of Police William Seaman and Officer Robert Smith, who worked steadily in the search after news of the suicide reached police headquarters.

Husby talked with Frank Burrows in the office of the logging company for two hours this morning and was melancholy as a result of several days’ drinking. Mr. Husby declared he was going to work this afternoon. On leaving the office, Husby went directly to the dock opposite the Northern Pacific bridge pier and jumped off.

Deceased was well known and popular on the Harbor. He was of good physique and was in the prime of life. The body is at the Whiteside parlors, waiting word from relatives. It is understood he has a cousin working in one of the logging camps on the Harbor, and a brother and sister in Ballard.

Force I.W.W.’S to Work is Hope in Oakville

OAKVILLE — Two I. W. W. agitators came to Oakville a day or two ago and after spending some time in the local saloons, they endeavored to enlist the support of some of the men who are employed in the local mills and logging camps. In fact they were so insistent to secure the cooperation of those men in their “great cause” that they tried coercion. The local men failed to see the advantage of becoming identified with that great and notorious band of I. W. W.’s and refused to cast their lot with the organization. The agitators could restrain themselves no longer so they tried direct action on the loggers and as a result the agitators landed in the justice court and each received a good big fine and costs. They refused to pay the fine of work upon the streets, so Marshall J. M. Williams is now caring for them in the local jail on bread and water diet until such time as they feel disposed to work in the streets.

August 19, 1913

Chief of Police Not Familiar With Tides

A story was circulating yesterday about Chief of Police T. M. Quinn and his inability to navigate salt water. It seems that Sunday, at Pacific Beach, the chief had decided to have clams and crabs on the bill of fare for dinner. The thought was appetizing and led to direct action on the part of the chief.

Quinn waded out to an island near the mouth of Joe creek and dug contentedly for a while with a narrow shovel which he had invented for his own personal use. Putting his “catch” into a sack, he started to return home. But the chief was not to get home at once, for meanwhile the tide had separated him from the mainland.

Quinn, desperate, determined to try wading, but decided the water was too deep for him. Back he went to the island and, sitting down, gazed ruefully shoreward. After an hour’s wait he suddenly observed the tide had gained a foot.

Without delay this time he started for the shore, and daring all dangers, went in waist deep, holding the sack and shovel above his head. By this time a crowd of anxious friends had assembled on the shore and, shouting words of advice, they admiringly watched him breast the water. After a struggle with the undertow, which nearly “unfooted” him, Quinn arrived safely on the mainland and headed for home, nor did he stop to even say “how do you do” to friends.

August 20, 1913

Mill Watchman Run Down By Gas Car

Mike Revells, an Italian night watchman at the Western mill, was struck yesterday afternoon by the Northern Pacific gas car, while he was on his way to the mill, and is now in the Grays Harbor hospital suffering from a dislocated hip, a broken shoulder and many body bruises. His condition is not believed serious.

Revells saw a westbound train approaching and jumped on to a sidetrack, only to be hit by the east-bound motor car. A similar accident a short time ago killed an unidentified man between this city and Hoquiam. Revells resides at 104 South Division street with his wife and daughter, and is well-known among the Italian population.

August 21, 1913

Mountaineers Are Expected Out Today

After about two weeks spent on a tramp across the Olympic mountains from the north side, coming out by way of Lake Quinault and the river, the party of 100, the Mountaineers, of Seattle, is expected to get out today.

The party was due at Quinault lake last evening and elaborate preparations had been made there to entertain the mountain climbers, but it was impossible to learn whether the party arrived at the lake. The telephone line between Humptulips city and Quinault is down and has been out of commission for several days.

Plans of the party were to leave early this morning from the lake in canoes and go down the Quinault river to Tahola and take this afternoon’s train from there for Seattle, special cars being provided.

It had been the intention of the Commercial Club to invite the party to stop at Hoquiam and spend the night, and entertainment was being planned, but on account of inability to reach the mountaineers this will be impossible, it was believed last night.

August 22, 1913

Dies On The Way To Aberdeen Hospital

George Lane, aged 55 years, an employee of the Grays Harbor Commercial company for the past three years, died yesterday afternoon on his way from Cosmopolis to the Aberdeen General hospital. Lane had been in his room since Monday and had been drinking heavily. He was taken by City Marshall Stedman to a conveyance and started for Aberdeen, but died before reaching that city.

Deceased had been drinking since the Splash, and was in poor health. His friends had reported his case to the city authorities at Cosmopolis, but it was too late.

Coroner R. F. Hunter and W. R. Whiteside returned late last night from Cosmopolis after making an investigation of Lane’s personal effects, but found nothing to trace any relatives, save a letter that indicated he had a sister in some state. The funeral services will be held this morning from the Whiteside undertaking parlors in Aberdeen.