Today is Thursday, Oct. 11, the 285th day of 2012. There are 81 days left in the year.
Today’s Highlight in History:
On Oct. 11, 1962, Pope John XXIII convened the first session of the Roman Catholic Church’s Second Vatican Council, also known as “Vatican 2.”
On this date:
• In 1779, Polish nobleman Casimir Pulaski, fighting for American independence, died two days after being wounded during the Revolutionary War Battle of Savannah, Ga.
• In 1811, the first steam-powered ferryboat, the Juliana (built by John Stevens), was put into operation between New York City and Hoboken, N.J.
• In 1862, during the Civil War, Confederate forces led by Gen. J.E.B. Stuart looted the town of Chambersburg, Pa.
• In 1890, the Daughters of the American Revolution was founded in Washington, D.C.
• In 1910, Theodore Roosevelt became the first former U.S. president to fly in an airplane during a visit to St. Louis, Mo.
• In 1932, the first American political telecast took place as the Democratic National Committee sponsored a program from a CBS television studio in New York.
• In 1942, the World War II Battle of Cape Esperance began in the Solomon Islands, resulting in an American victory over the Japanese.
• In 1958, the lunar probe Pioneer 1 was launched; it failed to go as far out as planned, fell back to Earth, and burned up in the atmosphere.
• In 1968, Apollo 7, the first manned Apollo mission, was launched with astronauts Wally Schirra, Donn Fulton Eisele and R. Walter Cunningham aboard. The government of Panama was overthrown in a military coup.
• In 1984, space shuttle Challenger astronaut Kathryn Sullivan became the first American woman to walk in space.
• In 1986, President Ronald Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail S. Gorbachev opened two days of talks concerning arms control and human rights in Reykjavik, Iceland.
Actor Earle Hyman is 86. Actor Ron Leibman is 75. Country singer Gene Watson is 69. Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., is 62. Actress-director Catlin Adams is 62. Country singer Paulette Carlson is 61. Actor David Morse is 59. Pro Football Hall of Famer Steve Young is 51. Actress Joan Cusack is 50. Rock musician Scott Johnson (Gin Blossoms) is 50. Actor Sean Patrick Flanery is 47. . Actor Luke Perry is 46. Actor-comedian Artie Lange is 45. Actress Jane Krakowski is 44. Rapper U-God (Wu-Tang Clan) is 42. Figure skater Kyoko Ina is 40. Singer NeeNa Lee is 37. Actress Emily Deschanel is 36. Actress Michelle Trachtenberg is 27. Golfer Michelle Wie is 23.