Today is Friday, Oct. 19, the 293rd day of 2012. There are 73 days left in the year.
Today’s Highlight in History:
On Oct. 19, 1987, the stock market crashed as the Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged 508 points, or 22.6 percent in value, to close at 1,738.74.
On this date:
• In 1765, the Stamp Act Congress, meeting in New York, drew up a declaration of rights and liberties.
• In 1781, British troops under Gen. Lord Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown, Va., as the American Revolution neared its end.
• In 1812, French forces under Napoleon Bonaparte began their retreat from Moscow.
• In 1864, Confederate Gen. Jubal A. Early attacked Union forces at Cedar Creek, Va.; the Union troops were able to rally and defeat the Confederates.
• In 1936, H.R. Ekins of the New York World-Telegram beat out Dorothy Kilgallen of the New York Journal and Leo Kieran of The New York Times in a round-the-world race on commercial flights that lasted 18Ω days.
• In 1944, the play “I Remember Mama,” by John van Druten, opened at the Music Box Theater on Broadway.
• In 1951, President Harry S. Truman signed an act formally ending the state of war with Germany.
• In 1960, the United States began a limited embargo against Cuba covering all commodities except medical supplies and certain food products.
• In 1967, the U.S. space probe Mariner 5 flew past Venus.
• In 1977, the supersonic Concorde made its first landing in New York City.
• In 1982, automaker John Z. DeLorean was arrested by federal agents in Los Angeles, accused of conspiring to sell $24 million of cocaine to salvage his business. (DeLorean was acquitted at trial on grounds of entrapment.)
• In 1994, 22 people were killed as a terrorist bomb shattered a bus in the heart of Tel Aviv’s shopping district. Entertainer Martha Raye died in Los Angeles at age 78.
Ten years ago:
• A 37-year-old man was seriously wounded outside a steakhouse in Ashland, Va., in the latest Washington-area sniper shooting.
• In York, Pa., former mayor Charlie Robertson was acquitted and two other men were convicted in the shotgun slaying of Lillie Belle Allen, a young black woman, during race riots that tore the city apart in 1969.
• The San Francisco Giants defeated the Anaheim Angels 4-3 in Game 1 of the World Series.
Five years ago:
• A three-year global manhunt for a Canadian schoolteacher suspected of sexually abusing Asian boys ended when police in northeastern Thailand arrested Christopher Paul Neil. (Neil later pleaded guilty to sexually abusing a 13-year-old boy and was sentenced to three years and three months in jail; he was later convicted of holding the boy’s 9-year-old brother against his will, and was sentenced to five years.)
One year ago:
• Authorities in the Zanesville, Ohio, area wound down their hunt for wild animals unleashed by a private farm owner who’d taken his own life; sheriff’s deputies shot and killed a total of 48 animals.
• In Greece, hundreds of youths smashed and looted stores in central Athens and clashed with riot police during a massive anti-government rally against painful new austerity measures.
• The St. Louis Cardinals won Game 1 of the World Series, defeating the Texas Rangers 3-2.
Former U.S. ambassador to Russia Robert S. Strauss is 94. Author John le Carre is 81. Artist Peter Max is 75. Author and critic Renata Adler is 74. Actor Michael Gambon is 72. Actor John Lithgow is 67. Feminist activist Patricia Ireland is 67. Singer Jeannie C. Riley is 67. Rock singer-musician Patrick Simmons (The Doobie Brothers) is 64. Talk show host Charlie Chase is 60. Rock singer-musician Karl Wallinger (World Party) is 55. Former Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele is 54. Singer Jennifer Holliday is 52. Boxer Evander Holyfield is 50. TV host Ty Pennington (“Extreme Makeover: Home Edition”) is 48. Rock singer-musician Todd Park Mohr (Big Head Todd and the Monsters) is 47. Actor Jon Favreau is 46. Amy Carter is 45. “South Park” co-creator Trey Parker is 43. Comedian Chris Kattan is 42. Actor Omar Gooding is 36. Country singer Cyndi Thomson is 36. Writer-director Jason Reitman is 35. Actor Benjamin Salisbury is 32. Actress Gillian Jacobs is 30.