Today is Friday, Nov. 16, the 321st day of 2012. There are 45 days left in the year.
Today’s Highlight in History:
On Nov. 16, 1946, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) was founded at the conclusion of a conference in London.
On this date:
• In 1776, British troops captured Fort Washington in New York during the American Revolution.
• In 1907, Oklahoma became the 46th state of the union.
• In 1917, Georges Clemenceau again became prime minister of France.
• In 1933, the United States and the Soviet Union established diplomatic relations.
• In 1959, the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical “The Sound of Music” opened on Broadway.
• In 1960, Academy Award-winning actor Clark Gable died in Los Angeles at age 59.
• In 1966, Dr. Samuel H. Sheppard was acquitted in his second trial of murdering his pregnant wife, Marilyn, in 1954.
• In 1973, Skylab 4, carrying a crew of three astronauts, was launched from Cape Canaveral on an 84-day mission.
• In 1997, China’s most prominent pro-democracy campaigner, Wei Jingsheng, arrived in the United States after being released following nearly 18 years of imprisonment in his country.
Ten years ago:
In an open letter to the Iraqi Parliament, President Saddam Hussein said he had no choice but to accept a tough, new U.N. weapons inspection resolution because the United States and Israel had shown their “claws and teeth” and declared unilateral war on the Iraqi people.
Five years ago:
• Senate Republicans blocked a $50 billion bill by Democrats that would have paid for several months of combat but also would have ordered troop withdrawals from Iraq to begin within 30 days.
One year ago:
President Barack Obama, visiting Canberra, said he would send military aircraft and up to 2,500 Marines to northern Australia for a training hub to help allies and protect American interests across Asia.
Blues musician W.C. Clark is 73. Actress Joanna Pettet is 70. Actor Steve Railsback is 67. Actor David Leisure is 62. Actor Miguel Sandoval is 61. Actress Marg Helgenberger is 54. Rock musician Mani is 50. Country singer-musician Keith Burns (Trick Pony) is 49. Tennis player Zina Garrison is 49. Former MLB All-Star pitcher Dwight Gooden is 48. Jazz singer Diana Krall is 48. Actor Harry Lennix is 48. Rock musician Dave Kushner (Velvet Revolver) is 46. Actress Lisa Bonet is 45. Actress Tammy Lauren is 44. Rhythm-and-blues singer Bryan Abrams (Color Me Badd) is 43. Actress Martha Plimpton is 42. Actor Michael Irby is 40. Actress Missi Pyle is 40. Olympic gold medal figure skater Oksana Baiul is 35. Actress Maggie Gyllenhaal is 35. Pop singer Trevor Penick is 33. NBA player Amare Stoudemire is 30. Actress Kimberly J. Brown is 28. Rock singer Siva Kaneswaran (The Wanted) is 24. Actor Noah Gray-Cabey (“Heroes”) is 17.