Today is Friday, Nov. 30, the 335th day of 2012. There are 31 days left in the year.
Today’s Highlight in History:
On Nov. 30, 1982, the Michael Jackson album “Thriller” was released by Epic Records.
On this date:
• In 1782, the United States and Britain signed preliminary peace articles in Paris, ending the Revolutionary War.
• In 1803, Spain completed the process of ceding Louisiana to France, which had sold it to the United States.
• In 1835, Samuel Langhorne Clemens — better known as Mark Twain — was born in Florida, Mo.
• In 1874, British statesman Sir Winston Churchill was born at Blenheim Palace.
• In 1936, London’s famed Crystal Palace, constructed for the Great Exhibition of 1851, was destroyed in a fire.
• In 1939, the Winter War began as Soviet troops invaded Finland. (The conflict ended the following March with a Soviet victory.)
• In 1954, Ann Elizabeth Hodges of Oak Grove, Ala., was slightly injured when an 8-pound chunk of meteorite crashed through the roof of her house, hit a radio cabinet, and then hit her as she lay napping on a couch.
• In 1966, the former British colony of Barbados became independent.
• In 1982, the motion picture “Gandhi,” starring Ben Kingsley as the Indian nationalist leader, had its world premiere in New Delhi.
Ten years ago:
• International weapons hunters in Iraq paid an unannounced visit to a military post previously declared “sensitive” and restricted by Baghdad.
Five years ago:
• A man took hostages at a Hillary Clinton campaign office in Rochester, N.H.; Leeland Eisenberg surrendered about five hours later.
• Motorcycle daredevil Evel Knievel died in Clearwater, Fla., at age 69.
One year ago:
• Police in Los Angeles and Philadelphia dismantled Occupy Wall Street encampments in both cities.
Actor Efrem Zimbalist Jr. is 94. Actor Robert Guillaume is 85. Movie director Ridley Scott is 75. Movie writer-director Terrence Malick is 69. Rock musician Roger Glover (Deep Purple) is 67. Playwright David Mamet is 65. Actor Mandy Patinkin is 60. Singer Billy Idol is 57. Rock musician John Ashton (The Psychedelic Furs) is 55. Former football and baseball player Bo Jackson is 50. Actor-director Ben Stiller is 47. Actress Sandra Oh is 42. Country singer Mindy McCready is 37. Singer Clay Aiken is 34. Actress Elisha Cuthbert is 30. Actress Kaley Cuoco is 27. Actress Christel Khalil is 25.