Today is Wednesday, Aug. 29, the 242nd day of 2012. There are 124 days left in the year.
Today’s Highlight in History:
On Aug. 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast near Buras, La., bringing floods that devastated New Orleans. More than 1,800 people in the region died.
On this date:
• In 1533, the last Incan King of Peru, Atahualpa, was executed on orders of Spanish conqueror Francisco Pizarro.
• In 1862, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing began operations at the United States Treasury.
• In 1877, the second president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Brigham Young, died in Salt Lake City, Utah, at age 76.
• In 1943, responding to a clampdown by Nazi occupiers, Denmark managed to scuttle most of its naval ships.
• In 1944, 15,000 American troops marched down the Champs Elysees in Paris as the French capital continued to celebrate its liberation from the Nazis.
• In 1957, the Senate gave final congressional approval to a Civil Rights Act after South Carolina Sen. Strom Thurmond (then a Democrat) ended a filibuster that had lasted 24 hours.
• In 1962, Malvin R. Goode began covering the United Nations for ABC-TV, becoming network television’s first black reporter.
Actor-director Lord Richard Attenborough is 89. Movie director William Friedkin is 77. Actor Elliott Gould is 74. TV personality Robin Leach is 71. Actor Ray Wise is 65. Actress Deborah Van Valkenburgh is 60. Actress Rebecca DeMornay is 53. Rhythm-and-blues singer Carl Martin (Shai) is 42. Actress Carla Gugino is 41. Rock musician Kyle Cook (Matchbox Twenty) is 37. Actor John Hensley is 35. Rock musician David Desrosiers (Simple Plan) is 32. Actress Jennifer Landon is 29. Actress-singer Lea Michele (TV: “Glee”) is 26. Rock singer Liam Payne (One Direction) is 19.