World Gone By 7/22

75 years ago, July 22, 1937

• The Timber Worker, official publication of the industrial union of the lumber industry, will move to Portland within the next month, leaving Aberdeen, the city of its birth.

The union publication began its life in Aberdeen shortly after the 1935 strike and gradually spread its circulation throughout the industry, being approved as the official organ of the Federation of Woodworkers which this week bolted the American Federation of Labor to join the CIO.

• Eddie Alexander, past exalted ruler of the Aberdeen Elks and chairman of the Bellingham convention party, is hunting for a new float. The peppery chairman was going to have the most novel, most astounding, most superlative float in the Bellingham parade.

Unfortunately when the Travelair biplane crashed at the airport Sunday night, the A berdeen float crashed too, for Al McKern, owner of the plane, had planned to fly to Bellingham then taxi the craft down the street under its own power.

“I would have to use a broom and dustpan if I wanted to take the plane now,” Alexander said.

50 years ago, July 22, 1962

Sunday, no newspaper published

25 years ago, July 22, 1987

• So far, so good. The “jet array” system for keeping a Port of Grays Harbor shipping terminal from clogging with silt seems to be working well.

Port officials are still working out bugs in the $2.6 million system, but for the most part it has done what they hoped it would.

Right now the system is only built for Berth B at Terminal 4. Berth A has the same problem and if the jet array system is successful, it probably will be extended to that berth, said Port General Manager Hank Soike.

• The two top administrators in the Wishkah Valley School District resigned yesterday to accept positions in other districts.

Superintendent John Flaherty and Principal Tom Colby submitted their resignations to a somber school board last night. Both have worked for the district about three years and both resignations are effective at the end of the month.

• Under a soft morning rain, a convoy of angry small boat owners slipped out of the Westport marina for a “fish-in” to protest the 10-mile sport salmon fishing closure. But there was low drama on the high seas. Nobody broke the law, and the state Department of Fisheries issued no citations.

“It was not too exciting to be honest with you,” said Chuck Towslee, a Westport commercial fisherman who also likes to catch salmon with a rod and reel. Still, “I think we accomplished our purpose before we went out — that is getting the Fisheries Department to talk with us again,” he said. “Before this, they wouldn’t even talk to us.”

Compiled by Karen Barkstrom from the archives of The Daily World.