$15,000 damage in Aberdeen house fire


A discarded cigarette is the apparent cause of a house fire in Aberdeen early Friday morning that caused about $15,000 in damage. There were no injuries.

The Aberdeen Fire Department responded to a two-story home on the 900 block of South West Boulevard at about 4 a.m. Friday to contain a fire on the outside of the building at the southwest corner near the front door. A neighbor and another person driving by noticed the flames, called for help and evacuated the renters inside.

The fire was mostly contained outside the building, with some extension into the roof of the shed attached to the house. Most damage occurred when firefighters exposed the south wall of the second story and cut holes in the roof of the shed, Aberdeen Fire reported. There was also moderate heat damage to the exterior south wall.