A Century Ago in the Washingtonian 2/17

Feb. 16, 1913

Logger killed at camp on Elk River

Big log rolls upon John Talaitie — Details of accident lacking

Caught beneath a rolling log, John Talaitie, an employee in the North Western Lumber company’s camp No. 6, on the Elk River, was crushed to death yesterday morning.

But little is known of the accident, as there was only one logger near Talaitie at the time. This man saw the danger and gave a cry of warning but before Tallaitie could escape the heavy log rolled on him, killing him almost instantly.

Talaitie had been in the employ of the company for six years and was well known in Hoquiam. He was a native of Finland and leaves a wife and four children residing there.

News of Talaitie’s death reached Hoquiam about 10 o’clock, and the body was brought up from South Bay by the steamer Champion and taken to the Pinnick undertaking parlore.

Funeral arrangements will be made today.

Feb. 20, 1913

Night train service to Harbor is sought

Efforts are under way, as a result of action taken yesterday by the Hoquiam Commercial Club, looking to the securing of night train service for Hoquiam and Aberdeen. The propaganda was set on foot at the suggestion of N. J. Blagen when he submitted a resolution at the club luncheon at the Hotel Grayport.

The resolution, which sets forth the need of an owl train to and from Grays Harbor and Portland, Seattle and Tacoma, was adopted. It provided for the appointment of a committee of three to take up the matter, and, besides laying it before the railroads, to ask the assistance of the Aberdeen Chamber of Commerce. Mr. Blagen, W. L. Adams and O. M. Kellogg were appointed as the committee. The question of an owl train service was taken up about a year ago but after it had been promised by one of the roads, was dropped.

N. B. Coffman of Chehalis and A. C. Little of Raymond were to have been the guests of the club at luncheon, but owing to the fact that the train was unusually late, they did not arrive in time. Mr. Coffman came to Hoquiam, but Mr. Little did not come. During the afternoon Mr. Coffman conferred with L. H. Brewer, new president of the Southwest Washington Development association, with reference to matters connected with that organization. He left on the afternoon train for his home.

One of the reports made yesterday to the Commercial Club was by H. C. Heermans in behalf of the committee to meet with L. N. Nordstrom to consider the possibilities of securing a band. The committee recommended that the matter be taken up with the Aberdeen Chamber of Commerce to see if a joint band for the two cities can be formed. Carrying out the scheme would involve the raising of a fund of about $500 in each city, it was stated in the report.

Feb. 23, 1913

Fatally hurt when his clothes catch on shaft

Caught in a countershaft while working on the first floor of the North Western mill, John Fezulick, an Austrian aged 23 years was terribly injured yesterday afternoon. He is now at the General hospital and little hope is held out that he will long survive.

No other workmen were near Fezulick and no one saw the accident. About 3:30 o’clock an employee of the mill found Fezulick’s limp and bleeding body lying on a pile of lumber below the shafting. Most of the man’s clothing was torn from his body. He was rushed to the hospital at once, where physicians found the man’s head badly fractured and several bones of his body were broken.

“It is evident that Fezulick’s loose clothes caught in the shaft and he was whirled around it,” said Chris Daniels, time keeper at the mill. “He was working overhead cleaning a conveyor. It is probable that when he struck the ceiling above his clothes were torn from him and he dropped to the pile of lumber below. I looked for marks on the ceiling, but could find none.”

Fezulick had been in the employ of the company for the past five years. He was an industrious workman and was considered careful while working about machinery. He roomed and boarded at 903 Ninth Street.