A century ago from the Washingtonian 4/9

April 3, 1913

Two killed and another badly hurt in woods

Two men were instantly killed and another so severely injured little hope is held out for his recovery, when crushed under a falling tree at the Polson Logging Company’s Camp No. 5 yesterday.

The dead: Barney Kerr, acting donkey engineer, and R. M. Crockett, fireman and for 10 years in the company’s employ. The injured man is Arthur Anderson, hooktender, whose ribs were crushed so badly the broken ends came out through his chest, his right leg fractured and other minor injuries inflicted.

The men were moving a donkey with the line fastened to a large hemlock tree. The tree held until the donkey was almost in place, but, when the donkey was being swung a little sideways the hemlock was uprooted and fell upon the crew. The skulls of Kerr and Crockett were crushed and their bodies severely bruised.

The accident occurred about 11 o’clock. The locomotive, returning from the landing, was utilized in removing Anderson, the injured man, to a boat, which brought him to the local hospital. Because of the absence of roads it was impossible to get a physician to the camp, and it was two and a half hours after the accident before Anderson reached the hospital. Had there been a road a doctor could have reached the injured man in 45 minutes.

Anderson’s home is at Napavine. Kerr’s mother lives at Joliet, Ill., while the only known relative of Crockett is a brother living somewhere in this state.

The accident is the worst the Polson company has had in its 30 years of existence.

April 4, 1913

Bridge worker is a victim of small pox

Dr. R. F. Hunter, city health officer, yesterday quarantined the first case of smallpox to occur in Hoquiam in several months, when a bridge worker named

Franey, and employed on the Northern Pacific gang, was found to be in the advanced stages of the malady. His condition, while serious, is not considered dangerous.

Franey is one of a gang of 16 men who have been working on Grays Harbor for some time. The bridge gang members make their home in three cars belonging to the outfit. Dr. Hunter was instructed by the state board of health last night to vaccinate all members of the gang who have not been recently vaccinated, and if there are any who will not submit to vaccination, to detain them for 16 days.

April 6, 1913

I. W. W.s not good citizens

An I. W. W. member or sympathizer has about as much chance of becoming a United States citizen, if he isn’t already one, as a jack rabbit if U. S. National Examiner Henry B. Hazzard can influence the judge. In fact to have attended a meeting of that organization, even as an open meeting, is mighty good cause according to the examiner for holding up the citizenship papers.

Today is the day for hearing the applicants for final admittance to citizenship. There are about 30 applicants and Judge Mason Irwin is hearing the evidence.

At 11 o’clock only three had been refused admittance until he could study up a little.

Those admitted were Ivar Vaumund, Norwegian, of Hoquiam; Borge Frafjord, Norwegian, Aberdeen; Nels and T. A. Nelson, Swede, Hoquiam.

John Svrsek, Moravian, of Aberdeen, was not qualified, owing to his poor understanding of the English language, and must wait awhile.

It was concerning the admission of Borge Frafjord that the examiner made his objections.

Frafjord was a clean looking young fellow, and though not any too familiar with the language impressed most persons as an ordinarially good young man, and he apparently impressed the judge that way too, for he admitted him to citizenship.

According to Frafjord’s own story as drawn from him by the examiner, he was arrested at an I. W. W. meeting last fall in Aberdeen, and was put in jail. He said he was not a member of the organization. That he had no weapons other than a knife. That he attended the meeting only out of curiosity and after his arrest he was released without a trial. That he had done nothing other than to go to the meeting.

Mr. Hazzard moved that his petition for admission be denied, and went on to say that the I. W. W. organizaztion was of an anarchist character, and that a man who would even attend a meeting after knowing what the meeting was, was not a man fit to become a citizen. Citizenship, he said, was a privilege and not a right. He started in to tell the judge what the organization was, but Judge Irwin interrupted to say that he had occasion to know very well what it was himself.

Another man besides the two regular witnesses volunteered to tell the court that Frafjord was a good boy and a steady worker, that he had never been arrested but the one time and that he had gotten out of jail that time by going to the mayor and explaining the case to him — how the boy had only gone to the meeting out of curiosity.

Judge Irwin said that he thought it depended considerably on what an applicant went to a meeting for. He said the young man went to the meeting and admitted it. It was an indescretion. He was arrested and was released when it was explained to the authorities. He could not see that he was guilty of any crime. He had shown curiosity but not any offense. He admitted Frafjord to citizenship.

Ivar Vaumund of the tug Cudahy obtained his full citizenship papers at Montesano yesterday, after passing one of the most creditable examinations of the year. He made a “clean score” on all questions. Mr. Vaumund experienced considerable difficulty in unwinding official red tape before his application for first papers was received by the Immigration bureau, because of the unusual manner of his entrance to the United States. Unlike most of his countrymen here, he didn’t land at any of the usual ports, but came ashore on the North Spit in a small boat from the wrecked Norwegian steamer Tellus in September, 1907. Mr. Vaumund has gone to Seattle for a week’s vacation while the tug is receiving a new rudder.