A small brush fire sparked by burning trash threatened four Central Park homes Saturday, but was contained with some damage to an outbuilding, Fire District 2 Chief Leonard Johnson said.
About 10 District 2 firefighters arrived at a home on the 7000 block of Blaine Road at about 5:25 p.m., and contained the fire in about 10 minutes, Johnson said.
“It wasn’t moving very fast through the brush, but they were able to confine it to an area that was about 60-by-60,” Johnson said.
A man, whose name was not released Saturday night, admitted to burning a paper bag and miscellaneous trash, Johnson said. The fire spread to a stack of old tires and some debris nearby, which also caused minor damage to an outbuilding behind a home.
Because of the homes nearby, Montesano Fire and the Department of Natural Resources were called to assist, but the fire was quickly contained. Grays Harbor Sheriff’s deputies also responded.
Johnson said people should be aware a burn ban is still in effect.
“Fire danger in this area is extremely high right now because we haven’t had enough precipitation to bring back up all the moisture in the fuels,” he said.