Fire crews respond to Safeway over smoking cooler


Who knew something so cold could get so hot?

The Aberdeen Fire Department responded to an electrical fire in one of the freezer aisles at Safeway Friday evening. Two fire trucks responded at about 5:40 p.m. Once inside, firefighters climbed on top of one of the freezers containing ice cream and began using tools to look inside the machine. The top had to be cleared because it was serving as storage space for paper towels and toilet paper. A mix of smoke and burned plastic could be smelled in the air.

Safeway was not evacuated for the incident.