The Aberdeen School Board announced Tuesday, that five people — all with strong ties to the school district — have applied to fill the board vacancy created when Jeff Snell died unexpectedly in July.
The five are:
• Christi Boora, a mental health counselor who has children in the school district
• William “Doc” Carter, a longtime Aberdeen High School teacher who retired last year
• Randy Hancock, a retired Aberdeen High teacher and former head basketball coach
• LaMont Shillinger, a retired Aberdeen High School teacher
• And Colleen Vekich, a former paraeducator at Harbor High School.
All candidates will be interviewed on Sept. 25 before the scheduled school board meeting. The successful candidate will be sworn in Oct. 2 and stand until an election is held in 2013.