Four-year-old allegedly starts fire with lighter


Disaster was narrowly averted after a 4-year-old playing with a lighter in his home set fire to a mattress, officials with the Aberdeen Fire Department said Wednesday.

The incident happened on the 100 block of North Mill Street around 11:20 p.m. on Tuesday, officials said, adding that the boy was playing with a lighter while he played video games. It is uncertain how long he was doing this before the fire started. The boy’s father dragged the mattress outside and extinguished it. Someone called 911 and members of the fire department came, but the mattress was already out. They inspected the home for any other immediate fire risks and left after 20 minutes. At least one of the parents was transported to Grays Harbor Community Hospital in Aberdeen for treatment of minor burns to the hands. The 4-year-old was unharmed in the incident. Damage to the home was negligible.