Nominations are now being accepted for the Joel Wolff Community Service Award, an annual recognition created in 2003 to honor community service in Grays Harbor County.
The recipient will be announced at the annual meeting of the United Way of Grays Harbor on June 11. Nominations may be turned in to the United Way Office, 101 E. Market St., Suite 544 in Aberdeen.
The Joel Wolff Community Service Award was established to recognize the contributions and examples of its namesake, Joel Wolff. In addition to his numerous community affiliations and causes, Joel was instrumental in the organization and creation of United Ways of Grays Harbor’s predecessor organizations, the Community Chest and United Good Neighbors of Grays Harbor County.
A recipient will be chosen based on the following criteria (in no particular order and with no special weight given to any single criteria):
• Length of service
• Impact on community needs — making a difference — real result in the community
• Demonstration of an authentic and real change in the lives of others
• Dedication to meeting the needs of local people
• Reputation in the community
• Leadership on community issues
• Scope and/or depth of involvement in community service
Eligibility for the annual Award shall require:
• An individual active in community service efforts who may be nominated for work done, whether volunteer or work-related.
• The work the person is nominated for must be done in Grays Harbor County.
• Individuals must serve the community at large.
• United Way employees, members of the Panel of Judges or their immediate families are not eligible.
• Nominees from previous years, who were not recipients of the Award, are eligible for re-nomination.
The nomination process shall work as follows:
• For a nomination to be considered, the nomination form must be filled out completely and legibly and turned in to the United Way office at 101 E. Market Street, #544 in Aberdeen by April 30, 2013. An incomplete or unsigned nomination form will not be accepted.
• Any individual may nominate more that one candidate.
• Individuals may not nominate themselves.
• Pertinent supplemental information, of no more than three pages, may be submitted along with the entry form. This may include letters of support, newspaper clippings, photos, etc.
• The Panel of Judges may request additional information from nominees, the nominator, or an organization.
• Nomination forms and supplemental information shall become the property of United Way of Grays Harbor County and will not be returned.
• Please include a recent photograph of the nominee for publicity purposes.
If you have a nominee, please call the United Way of Grays Harbor at (360) 532-6260.
Closing date of nominations is April 30.