Jones Photo Historical Collection
This photo from the Jones Photo Historical Collection is a view looking north on Broadway in Aberdeen from Heron Street. Based on research by Terri Middleton of the Anderson & Middleton Co., it was taken in June 1935. One of Aberdeen’s widest streets, Broadway was built specifically to ferry workers to the Weatherwax lumber mill at the foot of the street on the Chehalis River and back home again. Market Street, Aberdeen’s other wide street, was built for the same reason but for American Mill farther up the river. Both mills were in operation in the late 1880s when most of the area was still covered in timber and Aberdeen’s population was fewer than 1,500.
The Jones Photo Historical Collection documents life in the Northwest and on the Olympic Peninsula for more than 100 years. The collection compiled by four generations of professional photographers was acquired by the Anderson & Middleton Co. of Hoquiam in 2003 so that the images could be properly preserved and cataloged. The collection can be accessed online at jonesphotocollection.com Visible at the right is Kaufman-Scroggs, once known as Kaufman-Leonard, is a century-old Harbor business that has been in its current location at Broadway and Heron almost that long. The home furnishings store was begun by JJ Kaufman in 1903 right before the great fire that destroyed most of Aberdeen. He was joined by Richard M. Scroggs in the late 1920s and the business is still headed by the Scroggs family today.