Back to school for many students means new backpacks, fresh notebooks and new pencils. For others, it’s harder to get ready for the school year.
The Coastal Community Action Project is once again sponsoring school supply distributions through the Student Needs Assistance Program. Distribution of the more than $10,000 in donated school supplies starts today.
“There is a real need out there, and it is not just school supplies — it is builidng self-esteem for a child to fit in and showing up for the first day of school prepared to learn,” CCAP Finance Director Lucy Machowek said.
SNAP anticipates distributing supplies to about 2,300 children around the Harbor, Machowek said, which is up from last year while donations are down. The program focuses on low-income families.
CCAP seeks donations throughout the year. Right now, the non-profit is selling green and red apples for donations of $1 or more. Sterling Savings Bank and Bank of the Pacific can also take donations. People can also send donations to CCAP at 117 E. Third St., Aberdeen.
Parents can pick up supplies for their K-12 child at any distribution site with a picture ID. The children do not have to be present. Distribution sites and dates are:
• Today, 9 a.m. - 11 a.m., Oakville Food Bank, Oakville Grange (Harris Street & Temple Street)
• Today, 2 - 5:30 p.m., Copalis Crossing Food Bank, 3 Copalis Beach Rd., Copalis Crossing
• Thursday, 1:30 - 5:30 p.m., Ocean Shores Food Bank, 846 Anchor Ave., Ocean Shores
• Friday, 1 - 3 p.m., Montesano Food Bank, 213 W. Spruce Ave, Montesano
• Aug. 20, 1 p.m. - 4 p.m., East County Food Bank, 106 W. Main St., Elma
• Aug. 21, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Raymond/South Bend Senior Center, 242 1st St., Raymond
• Aug. 22, 1:30 p.m. 5:30 p.m., Copalis Beach Food Bank
• Aug. 23, 9 - 11 a.m., Westport Food Bank, 281 W. Spokane St., Westport
• Aug. 24, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m., Aberdeen/Hoquiam CCAP office, 117 E. Third St., Aberdeen
• Aug. 27, 9 - 11 a.m., McCleary Food Bank, 100 W. Simpson Ave., McCleary
For more information, visit www.coastalcap.org.