Teen held in fatal stabbing of Aberdeen man

A 22-year-old Aberdeen man was found dead in a yard in Hoquiam early Saturday morning, and a 16-year-old boy is in custody, accused of stabbing him.

The Grays Harbor County Coroner’s office identified the dead man as Jonathon Favro. He worked for the state Department of Corrections in Shelton, having completed his training to be a corrections officer in March, according to his Facebook page. He was a 2008 graduate of Aberdeen High School and a 2011 graduate of Grays Harbor College.

At about 3:10 a.m., a Hoquiam police officer spotted a white 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt just off the road, apparently having struck a rock embankment near 28th Street and Bay Avenue, according to police. It was quickly apparent it wasn’t a simple traffic accident; the officer spotted blood on the driver’s side door and on the road, and a large knife on the road nearby. The car was empty. A shoe and a bloody knife sheath were found about 30 yards down the road.

Hoquiam and Aberdeen officers were searching the area when a woman approached one of them, saying her son had called to tell her he was “going to do something terrible.” She told the officer where her son was, about a block from where the car was found.

The teen told officers he had stabbed the driver of the car during an altercation at a nearby apartment complex, the release stated. He said the driver had sped off afterward.

Just after talking with the suspect, officers found Favro laying in a yard near an alley about two blocks away. They tried to resuscitate him, but there were no signs of life. Hoquiam Fire Department personnel arrived and tried advanced lifesaving techniques but they also had no success, and Favro was pronounced dead at the scene.

Hoquiam Sgt. Shane Krohn said the suspect was a Hoquiam resident but had apparently dropped out of school.

Krohn said the relationship between the two was unclear, but did confirm they knew each other. Police investigated multiple scenes, one of which was near the home of one of the individuals, and said that significant evidence had been recovered. Some indication had been given by the suspect or his mother about the motivation of the crime, Krohn said, but he was unable to release the details because the investigation is ongoing.

Police did not release the teenager’s name. He is currently held in the Grays Harbor Juvenile Detention Facility awaiting formal charges.