Wall fire displaces family in Hoquiam


A suspected electrical fire displaced a Hoquiam family of four after a wall heater caught fire Monday afternoon, charring a wall and making the home dangerous to inhabit.

Hoquiam Fire Capt. Dave Everitt said fire crews responded at about 3:30 p.m. to the 2700 block of Aberdeen Avenue. They found a small fire had burned up part of a wall. No injuries were reported.

“The suspected cause of the (fire) was faulty wiring,” Everitt said, noting fire crews disconnected the power as a safety precaution.

Everitt said the fire caused about $10,000 in damage to the single-family house. Fire officials asked the family, one adult and three children, to stay somewhere else until the wiring could be fully inspected. The American Red Cross responded to provide the family with displacement services.