Horror film led to thoughts of murder, teen suspect says

By The Fort Worth Star-Telegram

FORT WORTH, Texas — Parker County teen Jake Ryan Evans told investigators that he devised a plan to kill several members of his family after watching a horror movie about a boy who murders relatives with ease and without remorse and thinking that “it would be the same for me when I kill someone.”

“My plan was to kill my sister and my mom at my house and then go over to my grandparents and kill my oldest sister Emily and my two grandparents,” Evans wrote.

Evans, 17, remained in the Parker County Jail on Thursday, accused of fatally shooting his mother, Jami, and 15-year-old sister, Mallory, inside the family’s home in October.

“Then I was going to wait until morning and kill my other sister, Audrey, because she was visiting from college,” Evans wrote in the statement, obtained Thursday by the Forth Worth Star-Telegram.

Evans gave little explanation for his desire to kill his family, other than pointing out that he had argued with his little sister that day after she made what he deemed a racist comment.

He wrote that he was upset about her attitude toward blacks and homeless people.

“When I look at people, especially teenagers, I see them as being very cruel to one another emotionally,” he wrote. “It seems that their favorite hobby is picking on someone else. The people who are racists, bullies, and who are full of themselves are the really evil ones. And it amazes me because those three qualities are extremely common today.

“I was very sad because I felt like my own family were becoming the people I hate.”

Prosecutors introduced the statement into evidence during a pretrial hearing in Weatherford on Wednesday. The statement, dated 2:46 a.m. Oct. 4, 2012, was given to a Texas Ranger and a Parker County sheriff’s sergeant.

Larry Moore, Evans’ attorney, objected to having the statement admitted and asked state District Judge Graham Quisenberry to seal it, saying it had not even been established that it was made by his client.

“When you just get the statement by itself, it doesn’t give you an accurate or complete picture of what was going on, what the circumstances were,” Moore said.

Quisenberry took Moore’s request under advisement. But on Thursday, the judge opted not to seal the statement and placed it into the court’s case file, which is public record.

With the release of the statement, Moore said Thursday night, finding an impartial jury will be even harder in a county where publicity was already high.

“The problem is the 911 tape _ anybody in America can punch a button on the computer and hear it. Anybody in America can now punch a computer and see the statement,” Moore said.

“They may or may not get into evidence at the time of the trial, but you certainly don’t want the jurors seeing stuff like that before you ever get a chance to talk to them or impanel them or tell them you don’t consider stuff like that until you see it at the time it’s introduced.”

On the day of the shootings, Evans said, he returned home from the allergist and began watching Rob Zombie’s remake of the movie “Halloween” for the third time.

“While watching it I was amazed at how at ease the boy was during the murders and how little remorse he had afterwards,” Evans wrote. “I was thinking to myself, it would be the same for me when I kill someone.”

Evans said he later threw away the movie so people wouldn’t think that it influenced him.

“After that I went outside to hit golf balls in the yard for about an hour,” wrote Evans, who played on the golf team at Aledo High School before withdrawing in January 2012 to be home-schooled. “I went inside around 5:30 p.m. and just sat in the living room thinking about how I was going to kill my family.”

Evans then described how he went about doing a series of mundane tasks.

At her request, he accompanied his grandmother to the cleaners and then got dinner with her and stopped at the post office.

After being dropped off at home, Evans ate dinner in the pool house and watched the “Family Guy” television show before going back into the house, where he saw his mom and sister watching a presidential debate.

After going outside to hit a few more golf balls, Evans wrote, he went upstairs to watch more “Family Guy.” Mallory asked whether he wanted to watch a movie.

“I said no because earlier that day at the allergist appointment she made racist comments about a black worker that was mowing the grass,” Evans wrote.

“She said, ‘Ha, that black guy looks like a monkey.’”

Pointing out that his sister had previously made racist comments and had also made fun of homeless people, Evans said he scolded her and told her that she was becoming white trash.

Later, in the car, he told her to look up the word “lynching” and then see whether she still had the same opinion about black people.

“She then said that she would never be a part of a lynching but is still a racist,” Evans wrote. “I then said that she makes me sick and called her a racist bitch.”

After rejecting her offer to watch a movie, Evans said, he went downstairs and retrieved his dad’s knife. He returned upstairs and began pacing, imagining killing his little sister, he wrote.

“Thoughts of causing her pain kept entering my mind and were really bothering me,” he wrote. “But then I’d think about the times she hurt my feelings or really pissed me off.”

Evans said he went to his sister’s bedroom door and asked her to watch “The Waterboy” with him. But he later excused himself and went into the art room. There, he imagined killing Mallory again, he told investigators.

After about 30 minutes, he returned to his place on the sofa, the knife in his pocket.

“I sat for about 5 minutes and then playfully threw a pillow at Mallory,” Evans described. “We started having a pillow fight in the room.

“After a while I thought to myself that if I were going to kill my mom and Mallory, I wouldn’t want them to feel anything. So I decided to kill them both with the .22 revolver I stole from my Grandpa.”

Evans said he went downstairs, retrieved the gun from his closet and set it on his bed, nervously opening the cylinder over and over again.

“I then spent probably over an hour walking nervously around the house thinking how life will never be the same and how I would never see them again,” he wrote.

About 11:15 p.m., he went upstairs with the pistol, knocked on his sister’s door and told her that Mom needed her.

“She came out and out of the corner of her eye saw me pointing the gun at her,” Evans wrote. “She thought I was joking and told me that I was freaking her out. I shot her in the back and then the head.”

Evans said he ran downstairs to the study and shot his mother three times.

“In shock, I ran to my room and was screaming at the top of my lungs that I am really messed up and that I killed my mom and sister,” Evans wrote.

Evans said he was emptying the shells on his bed when he heard noises and realized that Mallory was still alive.

“While I loaded the gun back up I was shouting that I was sorry and then ran as fast as I could to kill her,” Evans stated. “I then made sure my mom was dead and shot her again in the head.”

Evans said he went outside for a few minutes before returning.

“Very shocked and scared, I placed the gun on the kitchen counter and walked into the living room to dial 911,” he wrote.

Evans ended his statement:

“I know now though that I’m done with killing. It’s the most dreadful and terrifying thing I will ever experience. And what happened last night will haunt me forever.”