Bombing suspect had history of brushes with the law

BOSTON — Court papers available for the first time since brothers Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was caught opened a new window into their home life in the years just prior to the Boston Marathon twin bombing.

Their parents, Ansor Tsarnaev and Zubeidat Tsarnaeva were granted an uncontested divorce in September 2011 out of Middlesex Probate and Family Court one month after filing a joint petition stating the union had irretrievably broken down in February of that year.

Documents obtained by the Boston Herald from the court make no mention of their sons, though the ex-couple did stipulate they did not own any real estate and neither had any retirement benefits to their name.

Chechen national Anzor Zaindinovich Tsarnaev, 47, and Avar national Zubeidat Khiramagomedovna Suleimanova, 45, wed Oct. 20, 1986, at City Hall in Priozernyi, Russia, according to their marriage certificate.

In July 2009, a then-unemployed Tamerlan Tsarnaev was arrested by Cambridge, Mass., police on a charge of domestic assault and battery for allegedly beating a former girlfriend, records show.

The case was dismissed in February 2010 “for lack of prosecution” by the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office, according to documents on file at Cambridge District Court.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev faced more than two years in a house of correction had he gone to trial and been convicted. Court papers, which list his place of birth as Russia, state he admitted to police, “Yes, I slapped her,” because the woman was “yelling at him because of another girl.”

The alleged victim refused medical attention, the police incident report states.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, whose 19-year-old brother was charged in the bombings Monday and who remained hospitalized in serious condition at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, was also charged with speeding and a misdemeanor license plate violation after he was nabbed racing along I-93 North on March 5, 2008, additional court records show.

He was driving a Honda Accord but the plate on the car was registered that same day to a Mercedes.

He paid a $100 fine for speeding and the plate violation was dismissed on payment of an additional $100 in court costs, said Jake Wark, spokesman for Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev died Friday following a violent gunfight in Watertown with police pursuing him and his younger sibling.

His remains are still at the state Medical Examiner’s Office, which has not yet determined the cause and manner of his death, said Terrel Harris, spokesman for the Executive Office of Public Safety.