First week of testimony ends in Zimmerman trial

SANFORD, Fla. — The first week of testimony in the trial of George Zimmerman came to an end Friday, after a day of neighbors and first responders telling jurors about what they saw and heard on the night 17-year-old Trayvon Martin was fatally shot.

The last witness, however, was Lindzee Folgate, a physician assistant who treated Zimmerman the next day.

She testified during earlier visits, she’d noted that Zimmerman had “started to exercize intensely with” mixed martial arts, three times a week. His body mass rated him obese, she said: 5-foot-7.5 and weighing 204 pounds.

Zimmerman had two lacerations on his head, Folgate said: 2 centimeters and 0.5 centimeters. Neither needed stitches, she said.

Of Zimmerman’s nose, Folgate said: “I would say likely broken, it’s hard to say definitively.”

On cross examination, Folgate testified that the cuts, scrapes and bruises to Zimmerman’s head could be consistent with having his head slammed into concrete, as he says Martin did before the shooting.

Friday afternoon, jurors heard from the first police officer to arrive at the scene, Officer Tim Smith of the Sanford Police Department.

Smith said he saw the teen lying in the grass. He asked Zimmerman, who was nearby, if Martin had been shot and, if so, if he knew who shot him. Zimmerman “said that he did and he was still armed,” Smith testified.

Smith testified he handcuffed Zimmerman at gunpoint and confiscated Zimmerman’s gun. Other officers arrived and began CPR on Martin he said.

Smith said he saw that Zimmerman’s clothes were wet, his nose was bloody and there were lacerations and contusions to his head.

During cross-examination, Smith testified that Zimmerman told him that he’d been screaming for help earlier, but no one came to help. Zimmerman had “sort of a confused look on his face,” when he said that, Smith said.

Before Smith, jurors heard testimony from Stacy Livingston, a firefighter/EMT with the Sanford Fire Department. Livingston said Martin was pronounced dead at the shooting scene about 7:30 p.m.

Livingston also treated Zimmerman, who she said had a “very swollen, bleeding nose” and two cuts to the back of his head. He declined to be taken to a hospital, she said.

Earlier Friday afternoon, the jury heard from Sanford police Officer Ricardo Ayala, who was on scene that night and performed chest compressions on Martin.

Ayala said he arrived to find another officer holding Zimmerman at gunpoint. Once he was sure the fellow officer was safe, he turned his attention to life-saving efforts, Ayala said.

Before Ayala, the jury heard testimony from Jonathan Manalo, who was the first person to encounter Zimmerman after the shooting. He said Zimmerman looked like he had been in a fight; the witness took cell phone pictures of Zimmerman’s head and Marrin’s body.

Manalo said he asked Zimmerman what caliber his gun was, and Zimmerman replied it was a 9 mm. As police handcuffed Zimmerman, he asked Manalo to call his wife.

Manalo testified Zimmerman interrupted as he explained the situation to Zimmerman’s wife on the phone: “Just tell her I shot someone,” Zimmerman said, according to Manalo.

On cross examination, Manalo added that Zimmerman had earlier said, “I was defending myself and I shot him.” Manalo said that seemed to be true at the time.

Both Manalo and Ayala testified that Martin’s hands were under his body after the shooting. That’s an important point for the state, as Zimmerman told police that after the shooting, he climbed on top of the teenager, spread his arms and pinned them to the ground.

Firday morning, the state called John Good, a Zimmerman neighbor. He said he heard noises outside and when he looked, saw two people “tussling.” He said that the person on top was wearing dark clothes, and the person on the bottom was wearing white or red and had lighter skin.

According to the evidence in the case, Zimmerman was wearing red that night. Trayvon was in a dark gray or black hooded sweatshirt. Good was later asked if he now believes Trayvon was on the top and Zimmerman on the bottom: “Correct … that’s what it looked like,” he said.

Good said it appeared the person on top was “straddling” the other person, and that it looked like there were “punches being thrown” and someone called for help.

He said he couldn’t be 100 percent sure who said “help,” but thought it was Zimmerman. He also said he couldn’t absolutely confirm punches were thrown, only that he saw “downward movement.”

Good described Martin’s position over Zimmerman as MMA-style, calling it “ground and pound,” a common term in that sport.

He said he saw the fight move to the sidewalk. However, he said he didn’t see the person on top slam the bottom person’s head on the concrete, as Zimmerman says Martin did.

Jurors also heard Good’s call to 911, in which he reports the fight and gunshot. Of Martin, he said in the call: “It looks like he’s been shot and he’s dead.”