Acid spill sends Spokane students home for day


SPOKANE — Spokane fire officials say a hydrochloric acid spill in a stairwell sent students and staff members home early on Tuesday from a Spokane high school.

A fire department hazmat crew responded and cleaned up the mess at Lewis and Clark High School.

The Spokesman-Review reports that a student science assistant was transporting the jug of the poisonous, corrosive acid when the spill occurred.

Assistant Fire Chief Brian Schaeffer said the spill was likely inadvertent and there was no threat to students. There were no reported injuries or damage to the school.

The school was evacuated just after noon. Classes were expected to resume this morning.