Four years of anticipation, multitudes of fundraising activities, and months of preparation and practice culminated in a wonderful educational travel experience for the Hoquiam High School Band on a five-day trip to California, April 2-6. The students, families and directors wish to recognize and thank the many businesses, organizations and individuals that helped make the trip possible. Your generosity and support provided unique experiences and learning opportunities available only through travel. Highlights of the trip included …
• A Disney Sound Studio Recording Workshop where the band created the sound track for animated movie clips in a professional sound studio
• A Grammy Museum workshop on the history of recording technology from Thomas Edison to the present
• A clinic at Cal. State University at Long Beach focused on developing concert music techniques
• Marching performance in an exciting parade through Disneyland
• Concert performance at Los Angeles Shriners Children’s Hospital
• Attending a Broadway show, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast at the Hollywood Pantages Theater
• Visiting movie sets on the Universal Studios Back Lot Tour
• Tour of Hollywood, Beverly Hills and a California beach
In addition to the scheduled workshops and performances, group travel in and of itself gives students experience and insight into the world around them. Travel raises awareness and develops personal skills including responsibility, independence, money management, air travel, interpersonal skills, socio-economics, and climate differences. Your generosity gave many of our students first time experiences traveling outside our state and seeing professionals at work in the center of the music and movie industry.
The Hoquiam High School Band extends a huge Grizzly thank you to the following organizations and business for supporting our kids and making a once in a lifetime experience possible.
Aberdeen Police Association, Hoquiam VFW, VFW Ladies Auxiliary, Aberdeen Animal Shelter, Grays Harbor Community Foundation, US Development Group Foundation, A&R Cedar, Hoquiam Loggers Playday, 5 Star Ford, Oval Strapping, Enterprises International Inc., Hoquiam Fire Fighters Association, Smile Right Orthodontics, Grizzly Alumni Association, Westway Group LLC, Le Orthodontics, Hoquiam Vision Clinic, Timberland Bank, Hoquiam Grizzly Boosters, Coleman Mortuary, Pasha Stevedoring, Kewitt-General and Hoquiam Lions Club.
Thanks also to the many businesses who contributed products and services for our auction and other fundraising events.
Ace Hardware, Carpenters Union, Casa Mia, Clarks Restaurant, Crown Drug, Artists on the Map, Flowers By Pollen, Grays Harbor Community Hospital, Golden Dragon, Granny’s Glass, Grizz Espresso, Hoquiam 7-eleven, Jenny Fisher, Kluh Jewelers, Lana’s Hangar Café, Levee Lumber, Seattle Mariners Baseball, Michaels Meats, Oceana Spa, Ocean Shores Cinema, Dr. Pritchett DDS, Pure Clothing, Quiznos, Rain Forest Resort, Seattle Thunderbirds Hockey, Seattle Sounders Soccer, Seattle Seahawks, Swanson’s Grocer, The Oriole Café and The Recipe Box.
Special thanks to those anonymous individuals whose contributions made a difference for those kids who needed a little extra support.
Hoquiam Band Director