ELMA — Led by Daphne Peek’s course-record performance, Elma’s girls completed an unbeaten season by winning a multi-school cross country meet Thursday at Vance Creek Park.
Surging in the final 2 miles of a 3.1-mile race, Peek won the girls race with a time of 20:17. The Eagles amassed 24 points to finish 23 ahead of runner-up Hoquiam.
Led by individual winner Wesley Allen, Elma also captured boys team honors with 33 points to upend Evergreen 1A leader Rochester by two points.
Peek trailed Rochester’s Kenna Fosnacht by some 14 seconds at the mile mark. She charged into the lead about a half-mile later and went on to outdistance Fosnacht by more than a minute.
“We’ve been really working on her being consistent the second and third miles and she did a great job of that,” Elma coach Dave Beeler said.
Allen, a freshman, wasn’t challenged in winning the boys race in 17:27. Classmate Dylan Bennett took more than two minutes off his personal-best time in taking second in 17:47.
Beeler cited the performances of Kyle Smith, who also established a PR despite being weakened by a bout with the flu, and his entire girls team.
Hoquiam coach Jennifer Pace noted the performances of Luke Creviston, who shaved three minutes off his previous best time at Vance Creek, and Austin Montoure among the boys and the top three Grizzly girls of Alaina Butler, Reyna Sanchez and Alexis Franklin.
Most of the teams in Elma will compete at Hoquiam’s Grizzly Alumni Association Invitational, although Elma will focus its efforts on the frosh-soph races.
Elma 33, Rochester 35, Hoquiam 59
1. Wesley Allen (E) 17:27. 2. Dylan Bennett (E) 17:47. 3. Angel Vasquez (Roch) 17:56. 4. Austin Montoure (Hoq) 18:54. 5. Ryan Baxter (Roch) 19:10.
Other Twin Harborites in top 20:
6. Mario Joya (Hoq) 19:17. 9. Tobe Shriver (E) 19:30. 10. Lukas Starks (E) 19:33. 11. Kyle Smith (E) 19:37. 13. Gabe Hernandez (NB) 20:33. 15. Austin Drake (Hoq) 20:26. 16. Jeremy Bennett (WV) 20:27. 17. Jose Bucio (South Bend) 20:29. 19. Luke Creviston (H) 20:36. 20. Juan Arellano (WV) 20:42.
Elma 24, Hoquiam 47, Willapa Valley 49
1. Daphne Peek (E) 20:17. 2. Kenna Fosnacht (Roch) 21:09. 3. Lupe Vasquez (Roch) 21:55. 4. Luna Zang (E) 22:02. 5. Jessica Cook (WV) 22:10.
Other Twin Harborites in top 15:
6. Brianna Lusby (E) 22:50. 7. Alaina Butler (Hoq) 22:51. 8. Tahni McGaughy (E) 22:55. 9. Reyna Sanchez (Hoq) 23:02. 11. Alexis Franklin (Hoq) 24:00. 12. Kasey Hearn (NB) 24:31. 13. Dominique Kudasik (WV) 24:33. 14. Maria Silvera (WV) 24:42. 15. Tina Whipple (E) 25:53.
TENINO — Montesano’s boys and Ocosta’s girls took team honors in a multi-school meet Thursday at the Tenino City Park.
Montesano’s Gabrielle Rudolph won the girls race. She covered the 5,000-meter course in 19:17 to finish 37 seconds ahead of Onalaska’s Bernadette Hayden. Montesano’s Andrea Ostwald was third in 20:34.
Four Ocosta girls — Kiana Ballo, Sararose Gallo, Kelsey Gundersen and Chelsea Griffin — placed in the top 10 to help the Class 2B Wildcats take team honors. Griffin was singled out by Ocosta coach Aaron Anderson for a huge personal best.
Montesano nipped Onalaska, 56-58, for the boys team victory. Monte’s Tyson Lovell ran a distant second to Onalaska standout Stephen Bottoms in the boys race. Bottoms was clocked in 15:39, more than a minute ahead of Lovell.
“The boys ran really well today,” Montesano coach James Edwards said. “We beat Toledo and they’re one of the top teams in the district.”
Edwards cited Dakota Jefferson and Austin Vinson for strong showings. Anderson praised the performance of Duncan Jones.
Montesano will host the Evergreen 1A League meet Thursday. Ocosta will compete in Hoquiam’s Grizzly Alumni Association meet Saturday.
Montesano 56, Onalaska 58.
1. Stephen Bottoms (Ona) 15:39. 2. Tyson Lovell (Monte) 16:45. 3. Mikhail Hopf (Tol) 17:03. 4. Ben Hansen (Rain) 17:07. 5. Josh Hunt (Ona) 17:12.
Other Twin Harborites in top 40:
9. Gabe Spearin (Monte) 18:04. 10. Brandon Lovell (Monte) 18:09. 11. Luke Anderson (Oco) 18:28. 14. Dakota Jefferson (Monte) 18:38. 21. Austin Vinson (Monte) 19:04. 22. Viely Chum (Oco) 19:17. 23. Duncan Jones (Oco) 19:22. 40. Griffin Wright (Oco) 20:38.
Ocosta 16, Rainier 39.
1. Gabrielle Rudolph (Monte) 19:17. 2. Bernadette Hayden (Ona) 19:54. 3. Andrea Ostwald (Monte) 20:34. 4. Kari Larson (Forks) 20:54. 5. Kiana Ballo (Oco) 21:19.
Other Twin Harborites in top 20:
6. Sararose Gallo (Oco) 21:19. 8. Kelsey Gundersen (Oco) 21:54. 10. Chelsea Griffin (Oco) 21:56. 14. Linnea Nixon (Monte) 23:48.