Nine Twin Harborites earn consolation-round medals

TACOMA -- It was a wild, hectic way to finish a high school wrestling career, but Hoquiam’s Sam King took advantage of her chances on Saturday.

King was one of nine Twin Harbors wrestlers who came away with consolation-round medals at Mat Classic XXV on Saturday at the Tacoma Dome.

Elma’s Ryan Wilson and Tanner Sample and Raymond’s Matthew Boyes capped their weekends with victories and third-place medals.

King was one of four wrestlers to finish fourth overall in their divisions. She had to wrestle an extra match to get to her third-fourth place match, highlighting a four-match day that was contested in less than 3 1/2 hours.

Third-fourth place

King, the lone Harbor female to place at the Mat Classic, started her day innocently enough, defeating Pasco’s Tania Martinez, 11-9, to advance.

In the 155-pound consolation semifinals, King took on Lincoln’s D.J. White and fell behind early. The Hoquiam senior brought that match back to 12-9 with 30 seconds left in the third period before falling, 14-9.

However, before the two wrestlers left the mat, Hoquiam coaches protested the outcome. Because of the speed of the girls tournament, King didn’t get her mandated 45 minutes of rest in between her match against Martinez and the loss to White.

After several minutes of discussion by tournament officials, the loss was thrown out and Hoquiam won the protest.

King and White re-wrestled the match after a short break and King took advantage. In the third period, King got White onto her back on a takedown and scored the pin at 3:16 to advance to the third-fourth place match.

“It was hectic,” King said of her day. “It was kind of discouraging (after the first match against White), but I wasn’t ready to quit. I wanted that last match and I wanted to prove to myself to everyone that I could do it. I had to set the pace (in the second match against White) and had to wrestle my match, not let her do it. It worked out well for me.”

In the third-fourth place match, fatigue did set in a bit for King, who fought hard against White River’s Dylan Fagan.

King scored a 3-point near-fall from the top position in the third period, but Fagan found a way to get out of it and reversed King en route to a 7-4 win.

“(Fagan) is a really tough competitor,” said King, who will take a week off before starting softball season as the Grizzlies’ starting catcher. “I wish I could have hung in there a little harder. It was tough. I’m happy with the (tournament).”

Elma’s Wilson and Sample won their third-fourth place matches in very different manners — Wilson needed overtime and Sample was awarded the win after an illegal move prevented him from finishing his match.

Sample, in the 1A 132 third-fourth match, was leading 5-2 when his opponent, Mabton’s Vicente Mireles used an illegal hold and slammed Sample to the mat.

The junior Eagle stayed on the mat for several minutes, while tournament safety crews and Elma coaches looked after him.

When it was determined he couldn’t continue, Sample was awarded the match via disqualification.

Wilson, in the 1A 106 third-fourth match, couldn’t find a way to score a point on Castle Rock’s Jojo Saringan in regulation. Saringan couldn’t either, ushering in overtime.

In the extra period, Wilson got his chance, throwing Saringan down onto his back for the takedown and a 2-0 victory.

Elma’s Matt Gamino (113) and Tyson Dick (138) each finished fourth in their divisions, while all four Elma wrestlers went 2-1 on the day after starting the day with losses in the championship semifinals.

“Not a bad day; I thought the kids wrestled hard and I’m proud of them,” Elma head coach Jason Dick said. “They battled and that is what we wanted from them. They tested themselves against some of the best wrestlers in the state.

“They had quality opponents in the (championship) semifinals, returning placers, and I thought they battled,” Dick added. “In wrestling, there are winners and losers. There is no in-between. They lost, but they came back in their next matches, flushed (the losses) and won. That’s big. This group battled to get to third-fourth and that’s what they’ve done all year.”

Raymond’s Matthew Boyes had a stressful time in the Class 2B tournament, but finished as the lone Twin Harbors medalist out of seven wrestlers who started the day in loser-out matches.

Boyes, at 195, earned his third-fourth place match berth by surprising White Swan’s Brian Walker in their loser-out match. Walker led 3-0 from the bottom position in the second period before Boyes found a way to roll him onto his back and stick him for the pin at 3:23.

In his third-fourth match, Boyes took on LaConner’s Wil James and never trailed. Boyes scored near-falls quickly in the second period and kept the pressure on James in the third to secure an 8-3 victory.


Elma’s Austin Cristelli and Hoquiam’s Jonathan Molina found a way to end their weekend with victories.

Cristelli, in the 1A 145 division, parlayed a second-round takedown into a 2-1 victory over Castle Rock’s Shawn Godinho for seventh place.

Molina, in the 1A 152 division, faced Castle Rock’s Seth Risner and dominated the match, finishing seventh overall with a win by pin at 2:23.