Bearcats trampled by Stallions

After the second play of the game, matters rapidly went downhill for the Grays Harbor Bearcats.

Jermain Delgardo threw for 357 and five touchdowns as the Seattle Stallions trampled the Bearcats, 66-0, in a Pacific Football League game Saturday night at Stewart Field.

A 30-point second quarter blew things open for the Stallions (2-2 in league).

Although the score scarcely reflected it, the Bearcats (0-4, 0-6) had some defensive highlights — intercepting three passes, recovering a fumble and neutralizing Seattle’s running game.

But their inability to defend the deep pass, particularly to wide receiver Willie Edwards, was a glaring shortcoming. Edwards caught three of Delgardo’s scoring aerials and wound up with 140 yards in receptions.

Grays Harbor’s makeshift offensive line was also unable to contain Seattle’s aggressive defensive front. The Bearcats didn’t muster their initial first down until midway through the third quarter. With several sacks and bad snaps on punts figuring into the equation, they finished with a negative 38 yards in total offense.

Needless to say, Bearcat coach Todd Hoiness said he will welcome a three-week layoff so his team can recuperate from its multitude of injuries.

“It’s a depth-building opportunity,” he wryly noted. “We’re just going to take our lumps until we get healthy. We’ve got some issues that it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out.”

The contest actually began promisingly for the Bearcats. Vernon McCrory picked off Delgardo’s pass on the game’s second scrimmage play and returned it to the Stallion 19-yard line.

Grays Harbor was unable to move the ball, however, and Max Mendez’s 33-yard field goal attempt hooked wide.

Four plays later, the Bearcats regained possession via Daniel Hargrove’s interception on the Stallion 38. After three plays netted four yards, Grays Harbor wound up punting.

The Stallions then put together a 79-yard scoring drive capped by Delgado’s 35-yard scoring strike to Edwards. Keandre Magee ran in the conversion for an 8-0 Seattle lead with 1:09 remaining in the first quarter.

Seattle’s Jordan White-Frizbee recovered a fumble by quarterback Loyal Linton on Grays Harbor’s next possession and returned it to the Bearcat 2-yard line. Delgardo ran it in two plays later.

That triggered the 30-point second period that put the game out of reach.

Edwards also had TD receptions of 27 and 39 yards. Anthony Montgomery added a pair of scoring catches and the Stallions even had a pair of safeties via bad snaps on punts.

Linton, who took a pounding for most of the night, completed consecutive passes to Mendez and Dyllyn Rhodes in the third quarter for Grays Harbor’s first two first downs of the contest.

The Bearcats were on the Stallion 15 in the late going, but Tristin Gray picked off a Linton pass in the end zone and returned it 105 yards for a concluding score.

The Stallions may have also established a dubious Stewart Field record by incurring 148 yards in penalties.

Hargrove had two of Grays Harbor’s interceptions. McCrory and Daniel Brown also drew Hoiness’ praise for strong defensive outings.

Grays Harbor’s scheduled non-league game with the San Diego Thunder on May 31 has been canceled. The Bearcats will return to action at home June 7 against the Bellingham Bulldogs.

Sea8 30 14 14 — 66 GH 0 0 0 0 — 0

First Downs: Seattle 17, Grays Harbor 4.

Net Rushing: Seattle 78, Grays Harbor minus 66.

Net Passing: Seattle 373, Grays Harbor 28

Total Net Yards: Seattle 451, Grays Harbor minus 38.

Passing: Seattle 21-31, Grays Harbor 4-16.

Had Intercepted: Seattle 3, Grays Harbor 2

Fumbles Lost: Seattle 1, Grays Harbor 2

Yards Penalized: Seattle 148, Grays Harbor 69.


Rules for posting comments