Grays Harbor ends season on a 42-14 loss to South King County

The end of the Pacific Football League season for Grays Harbor came on Saturday, but not before the Bearcats got in their hits, runs and passes against South King County.

The Colts used their athletic skill players to out-throw the Bearcats, 42-14, at Stewart Field. This ends Grays Harbor’s injury-riddled season at 0-8 in the PFL North, 0-10 overall.

“We got out-athleted,” Grays Harbor head coach Todd Hoiness said. “It was a fun game to see the guys flying around and competing hard. It was really good to see and that’s a credit to the guys. This whole season, no one quit or surrendered. They came out, played hard and hit hard. We did that (Saturday). They just had great athletes on the outside.”

Vincent McCrory led the Bearcats with 80 yards rushing overall, including a 55-yard touchdown run in the second quarter on a draw play. McCrory later caught a 7-yard screen pass from quarterback Loyal Linton for the Bearcats’ last touchdown.

Linton, who finished with 150 yards passing and was cited by Hoiness for his work, ran in a 2-point conversion for Grays Harbor’s final points of the season.

Defensively, Grays Harbor shut down South King County’s rushing game — minus-60 yards rushing total — and went into an all-speed defense to counter the Colts’ passing game.

Vernon McCrory moved over to cornerback to help the Bearcats slow down the Colts’ wide receivers and was cited for his defense and bit hits at corner.

Also on defense, Stefan Green made his debut for the Bearcats (with permission from the league office) and finished with five sacks. He was cited for his performances on defense, especially chasing down South King County’s speedy quarterback, and special teams.

“The Colts’ quarterback scrambled to make throws like Fran Tarkenton,” Hoiness said. “Stefan literally chased that quarterback all over the field.”

Dan Brown, playing in his final game for the Bearcats, also had two sacks and had a 50-yard run on offense late in the game. Joel Brown, who was out with an arm injury, and Dan both retired after the game and will be inducted into the Minor League Football Hall of Fame in Las Vegas in December.

Offensively, Derek Archer finished with five receptions. Archer, along with linemen Shane Dayton and Don Orton, were cited for their performances.


Rules for posting comments